Add basement stairs in the garage?

Old 11-13-22, 01:31 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Add basement stairs in the garage?

I want to cut a hole in the attached garage floor, dig it out and cut a hole in the basement wall so I can hoist heavy things into the basement.

any thoughts?

Old 11-13-22, 02:03 PM
B
Received 245 Upvotes on 217 Posts
Size and weight of the heavy things would help. Will you still have a functioning garage? Can you use your hatchway?

Old 11-13-22, 03:50 PM
Received 1,142 Upvotes on 1,035 Posts
Here is an alternative, I had one of thess at a prior house, loved it!

https://www.bilco.com/Content/BILCO/...rm-Classic.pdf

Old 11-13-22, 05:10 PM
C
Received 122 Upvotes on 98 Posts
I've been in homes that had stairs down to the basement in the garage, but they were installed during initial construction. Doing a retrofit, the biggest issue you will likely face is how to support the cut edges of the slab. They can't just be left floating on the soil. The walls you build to enclose the stairs can support the edges of the slab, but those walls will need to sit on footers, so you will have more excavation than it might seem.

You will also have to have a curb around the opening for the stairs. I think the code is 4" high, but more would be better. The curb is there to stop gasoline fumes (which tend to hug the ground) and water from running/flowing down the stairs into the basement.

I have a bilco door like Marq1 linked to, on top of precast stairs that provide outside access to my basement. They work great for getting all the heavy machinery down to my woodworking shop, and make it easy to get sheet goods and long lumber down as well. If you have a place to do this outside of the garage, I think it would be easier and a lot cheaper than retrofitting into the garage.

Old 11-13-22, 11:47 PM
Received 1,142 Upvotes on 1,035 Posts
I think it would be easier and a lot cheaper than retrofitting into the garage.
Amen to that!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: