Best way to "shave" bricks lengthwise?

Old 11-16-22, 07:04 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to "shave" bricks lengthwise?

My project leveling a subsided red clay brick patio is almost done. The last row of bricks (8 X 2-1/4 x 4") is internal -- not on the outside edge, and in a running pattern. Of course, the gap for the bricks is about 1/8 or 1/16" too narrow to fit the bricks in. So I figure I have to "shave" part of one course lengthwise. It's only about 8 bricks.

I own a Makita 4" angle grinder. Can I score around the brick with a masonry blade and knock the waste away with a masonry chisel?'

I gave my wet saw away when I moved. Would it be better to rent one?

As ever, thanks very much!

Old 11-16-22, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,409 Posts
You could rent one... or put a diamond blade in a skilsaw and have someone squirt water on it while you cut.

If you use a grinder, it probably won't be very exact. But if it's only 1/8" you could put a cup wheel on a grinder and take that off pretty quick.

Old 11-17-22, 12:29 AM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
A diamond blade on the grinder will make fast work to grind away material vs attempting to cut but like a grinder it's going to be somewhat uneven.

That is basically the tool I use when doing stone veneer work and something needs to be trimmed up to make a better fit. Caution, it's a dusty process, work with the wind!

Old 11-17-22, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I would not attempt to score and break the bricks unless you have a good number of spares. Bricks can be unpredictable in how they break, and especially so if trying to only take off a thin slice. Cutting with a saw or grinding away like the others have mentioned is more controllable, reliable and has less chance of breaking the bricks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: