EZ way to fix small cracks in concrete.......?

Old 11-29-22, 01:20 PM
Y
Received 22 Upvotes on 21 Posts
EZ way to fix small cracks in concrete.......?

Concrete pool deck built in 1993. We got here in 2006. Some hairline cracks have appeared. About 1/16 inch wide and mostly 1/8 inch deep.....except one place where my probe wire went in about one inch. 60 LF of cracks.

Read up on this forum and I can hire a handyman to enlarge the cracks, both wide and deep....clean out.... and fill with...epoxy fillers (sand and Portland cement). Sound OK ?

What tool is best ? Circular saw with a diamond disc blade.....or a tool/drill with a diamond disc ? Dunno. I am a handyman dunce.
Any advice is welcome. TIA

Old 11-29-22, 04:21 PM
Received 1,058 Upvotes on 960 Posts
Understand there is no repair of cracked concrete, anything you do is just a patch and it will come back.

I personally would not be cutting or enlarging anything because your just making the problem larger, nastier looking.

I have used both self leveling fillers and polymeric sand for larger joints, 1/16" is almost too small to do anything with!

Old 11-30-22, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I agree. You don't "fix" concrete. You can try to conceal but that's about all you can do short of remove and replace. 1/16" is too small to do much with. Anything you try to put into the crack is likely going to spill over onto the surface making the crack or patch more evident.

If you had hairline cracks that would be normal for concrete. Since yours have opened that indicates movement. So, unless you can stop the movement (very difficult to impossible) the cracks will reappear and may continue to grow over time.

Old 11-30-22, 08:42 AM
Y
Thanks for your input. Will discuss your thoughts with the handyman visit on 12/5.

Here in southern OR we get occasional temps of 25-30 for a few days in a row. I wondered about water getting into the cracks.....freezing.....and causing a worse crack. Should I have cracks patched and live with the appearance....and paint entire patio next year ?

Old 11-30-22, 09:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
You are correct that freezing water is a problem and certainly won't help. But, I've had hairline cracks in my driveway for 15+ years and they've never grown in width and we go through a lot of freeze that cycles each winter so I don't think ice is the culprit. I've usually seen movement of the slab caused by the base/foundation. Often an area settles and the unsupported concrete cracks. It's hard to spot settling though since concrete is very rarely truly flat so even laying a straight edge over the area can make it hard to spot. But, if the cracking is near the edge of the slab and there isn't much to keep the slab from moving sideways then ice can slowly push the broken piece over time.

Old 11-30-22, 11:10 AM
C
Received 270 Upvotes on 221 Posts
I have repaired concrete cracks several times. In one case our new (1 year old) home had a foundation crack that extended from the footer to the top of the wall. It was all the way through the poured concrete wall. I enlarged the crack with a grinder and filled it with an epoxy mix. That was nearly 40 years ago and the crack never returned.

I guess I didn't understand that it can't be done. Or maybe we have a different understanding of what a repair is.
Try Googling concrete crack repair for info.

Old 12-06-22, 08:33 AM
Y
Handyman, who has a CCB license was here and thought best way was to enlarge cracks a bit, wide and deep and clean out and fill with appropriate product and put sand on top. House is on red clay soil and further down, granite. The clay shrinks and expands with the seasons and settling is expected.
Will let you know what is the final disposition....Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: