Retaining wall was destroyed. Looking for options to rebuild it!

Old 03-25-23, 05:53 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Retaining wall was destroyed. Looking for options to rebuild it!

I had my sewer line replaced. In the process my retaining wall was destroyed. A 100 year old retaining wall. It was sunk when they dug underneath it. It was the city's contractor that did it when they dug their side of the pipe replacement, but that's for litigation to decide. While that is in the works, I want to look at options on what I can do.

Initially, the retain wall was lined up right to the edge of the front porch. It was a level wall that came to meet at the sidewalk at level. Now that it is gone, I like the bigger front lawn on that side. The issue is the dramatic slope by the house. I had originally thought of doing a retaining wall again, but push it out further, so, if they ever have to dig again, the wall will not be anywhere close. Doing that would require more dirt, more money... but I also like it with a 4 foot wall drop-off at the back end.

So, my thinking now is, if it is possible, just build one retaining wall perpendicular to what the retaining wall was so it makes the front lawn on that side as wide as possible with a gentle slope in most places. The perpendicular wall would start at approximately 3.5ft down to meet the dirt. I will also be putting up a fence around the area and getting rid of the bushes. Dogs use the front yard, and they need to be kept safely in the yard.

The lighter stone for the foundation goes down another 10ft from where it meets the brick. They had to dig down 8ft to get to the sewer pipe and that pipe is at least 2ft above the foundation of the wine cellar which is right behind that wall.

Is this a viable option? What concerns should I be thinking of? Should I fear any erosion from the slope that doesn't have any retaining wall?

Red lines are what the old wall was. White lines what I'm thinking. There's a screen cap where you could see how it was.

Old 03-25-23, 06:30 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Is it possible sure, a lot depends if this is something your going yourself or having done.

If your thinking a brick/mason type wall once you get over a couple feet tall then things get more complex, you need good footers, anchors, and drainage to keep the wall stable, earth will just push them over with time.

Another option is a boulder wall. I have built and have some currently. Prior house had series of walls, 180 tons worth, some over 6' tall with large 18-24" dia rocks but I have a tractor with loader.

The nice thing about boulder walls is that first they are not formal looking, they are basically just set and stacked on the ground so no footing or drainage, but they are heavy.

Either way, the larger the material the better, those small retaining wall pieces you can get at BBS simply don't work for much over a ft tall.

Old 03-25-23, 07:15 AM
L
Do not want to use concrete again. Will be doing it myself. What size/weight are we talking about for boulders? I don't mind that look. Something I could do on my own?

Old 03-25-23, 07:36 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Post #9 in this thread shows a stacked stone wall but mortared and smaller stones than Marq1 mentioned. Professionally installed but could be DIY. See thread for cost and time details.

Old 03-25-23, 07:45 AM
L
Your wall looks great. Far bigger than the wall I want to do. It will end up being about three feet high down to meeting or almost meeting the driveway.

Old 03-25-23, 11:04 AM
What size/weight are we talking about for boulders?
18" would be around 100#-150# My first wall was about 60' in length and 3' high and it was done with that size and I moved them all by hand.

One item you have to consider is delivery, a good size dump truck dropping off many tons of boulders, got to have a spot to do that!

Old 03-25-23, 11:33 AM
L
Have to figure my wall will be 4ft high at the start and go to ground level over the span of 5ft. It's going to be small. That's why my initial thought was to do retaining wall pavers with the BBS stones.

Old 03-25-23, 02:11 PM
That's why my initial thought was to do retaining wall pavers with the BBS stones.
Get the biggest blocks you can find, check your local concrete/landscaping outlets to find what they offer, they have a larger, physically bigger, variety. Do it right!!

Old 03-25-23, 03:27 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Just to be clear, the retaining wall you desire will be to hold dirt in the front yard from spilling into the back behind the front face of the house? If so, using large DYI blocks might not be aesthetically pleasing because of the step down in such a short distance Have you thought about starting a retaining wall at the front sidewalk/driveway meet (or property line) extending back then making a right angle (or quick curve) to connect to the house such that the top of the wall is roughly horizontal? You could even start the wall back from the sidewalk if you didn't want it to be so tall. In my area, anything over 4' (from the bottom of footing) requires a permit. Having a 40 degree slope of ground is rather unusable.

Old 03-26-23, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I would build the wall with pre cast concrete retaining wall blocks. They are engineered to be retaining walls and are very reliable. The blocks are light enough that everything can be lifted and placed by one person. And the blocks are available in many different designs and colors to you have some options.

Old 04-09-23, 08:45 AM
L
Thanks for all the help. Went with retaining wall blocks and kept the wall below three feet and sloped it down each brick. Will serve its purpose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: