Cutting old reclaimed Chicago bricks

Old 05-23-23, 08:03 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Cutting old reclaimed Chicago bricks

I have to cut 12 pieces of old reclaimed Chicago bricks, they are sized 4.5"X8.5"X2-3/4" deep.

I need to modify the depth. I need these 12 pieces to be cut to only 1.5" deep.

I think the correct tool to use is a wet tile saw but I do not have one nor am I inclined to buy or rent one for such a small task. So my thinking is I can take it to a place to get them cut?

What kind of places would do that? Would a tile retailer with a warehouse do it? Do I need to find a mason to cut 12 pieces of bricks?

Old 05-23-23, 08:51 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I've never seen anyplace that would cut bricks. Own a miter saw, buy a blade for concrete.

Old 05-23-23, 09:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 842 Upvotes on 739 Posts
A 4.5" cut is pretty deep, not sure how deep a commercial saw can cut. You might catch a tile man or brick artisan on a job and talk them into cutting it for you.

Old 05-24-23, 02:42 PM
M
yes it is a pretty deep cut across the entire brick.

I am thinking if I want to DIY it, I could use my 4.5" angle grinder and that will give me about 1.5" of cut depth, if I cut full depth all the way around, it will still leave me with 1.5" in the middle, and if I use a chisel to strike it, I bet 50/50 I will not get a clean break, especially since there are not new brick but weathered and reclaimed so not a perfect shape to begin with. Someone with a 7" gas powered masonry saw can do it but may not get an even cut because these saws are heavy to operate and not meant for accuracy cut.

I am wondering if a wet tile saw that you just push the brick across and may be a 3" cut each side with two passes may do it.

Old 05-24-23, 04:39 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
and if I use a chisel to strike it, I bet 50/50 I will not get a clean break,
Originally I read this as cutting 1 1/2" off the end, your cutting 1/3 of the brick off the depth. It's not going to work!

Even hand cutting patio pavers (cement matl) with a 6" diamond saw, which was scary to begin with, the uncut material was minimal and would still break with a chisel strike. You're trying to cut a clay material which will shatter.

You need to find a way to cut the entire brick!

Old 05-25-23, 10:23 AM
M
that's why I am asking to see what the experts think.

my thinking is if there is a wet table saw for tile cutting, and I don't know how deep they can cut, but it it can cut say 2.25", then doing two passes of each brick would cut it, but I don't know how deep they cut, and if there may be a place where I can take to to get them cut, if such a place or service exists.

I am thinking may be a tile retailer with a warehouse may have such a setup, where may be their customers may have some odd cuts to be made and will help those customers with those, and if they would cut my bricks for a fee.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: