100 year old bricks have started bleeding white chalky appearance

Old 07-16-01, 05:47 PM
Visiting Guest
My 100 year old bricks are bleeding a white chalky film. It has startrd in the upper corner of my house. My roof is new and looks sound. All downspouts in the area look clear and hole free. I remodled my home about two years ago and installed central air and reinsulated the interior. I used 1 1/2 ' thick tongue and groove styrofoam. I don't have any stains inside the house nor do I see any signs of leakage. Our weather hjas been relatively clear for the last few weeks but the chalk still is on the exterior walls. The chalk seems to be running from the brick because next to the area affected the brick is dark red. Then there is an area that is white and the bricks next to that are like the bricks in the rest of the house ,regular red. I have no clue as to why this is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks....

Old 07-18-01, 03:17 PM
Visiting Guest
I found out that this is called "efforlescence" or something like that . Does anyone know what causes this to happen?

Old 07-19-01, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The culprit, as it is with many cosmetic brickwork conditions, is moisture. For your convenience: a pictorial guide of problems and product resolutions by Prosco http://www.ebricksolutions.com/repair/repair.htm

While ferreting source(s) consider all possible sources (inside and outside) suspect until proven otherwise. Discount the less feasible and you may miss the source. Consider the intergity of the mortar and possibly the brick suspect also.

Samples: house ventilation (basement to attic). All ducting, piping, flues, openings and penetrations.
Exterior flashing, bond breaks, control joints, misbehaving sprinkler head or dryer vent (yours or a neighbors)...and on and on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: