Concrete Repair Advice

Old 05-23-24, 09:37 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Concrete Repair Advice

I had a contractor relevel some pavers/travertine and they used what I believe is cement around the outer perimeter which supports some rocks against the pavers/travertine. I am noticing some cracks in the cement making me wonder if that was not done properly.

Old 05-24-24, 03:39 AM
B
Received 314 Upvotes on 277 Posts
Usually cement for structural purposes is poured into a containing frame where depth is controlled. Doesn't sound like the contractor did this. Can you provide a photo?

Old 05-24-24, 10:26 AM
S
Apologies. I thought I added it in the initial post. The cement was used to transition from the pavers to the grass and from the pavers into the surrounding rock structure.

https://imgur.com/a/ADmUALW

Old 05-24-24, 03:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
What you have is a sorta common way of edging pavers and patios. I don't like it as it can crack like you are seeing. Masonry (concrete, mortar...) does not tolerate any movement and will easily crack. There are ways to install it so it is more durable while yours looks like a thin layer just slapped on the surface which is prone to cracking.

The issue is a proper fix is a bigger job. So, if you hired the cheapest contractor or wanted the job done inexpensively you are likely to get something that won't last very long. To properly mortar or concrete the perimeter they will have to do some digging to install a properly thick concrete boarder to retain the stones but that's a bigger, more expensive job.

Old 05-24-24, 03:07 PM
S
Is there a temp solution? Do I mix up some and relay over the top? And fill the gaps between the tiles with additional sand ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: