Moss On Pavers w/ new polymorphic sand

Old 05-23-24, 09:40 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Moss On Pavers w/ new polymorphic sand

I used a power washer and removed all of the moss and sand between the pavers and replaced with polymorphic sand. It looked good for a few months and noticed some moss in a few areas but it progressively gotten worse. Some areas of the pavers are not flat so water pools from rain and sprinklers. Am I fighting a losing battle? It's annoying to think I have to do this every year.

Old 05-24-24, 03:30 AM
B
Received 314 Upvotes on 277 Posts
My guess is there is poor drainage under the pavers resulting in a wet environment that is needed for moss growth. Where are the pavers relative to grade?

Old 05-24-24, 10:20 AM
S
Here's a few pictures showing the grading. My finger is pointing to the top of the slope before it grades down. The sprinklers don't go off much so I don't think it's from that excess water. Also, there is moss even on the flat part of the pavers. Either way, if I powerwash the pavers, I will rip up the polymorphic sand. I could use a chlorine solution but that would just kill the moss and not remove it. What other options do I have?

Last edited by PJmax; 05-24-24 at 07:20 PM. Reason: pics hosted and posted PJmax
Old 05-24-24, 10:30 AM
S
Old 05-24-24, 02:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
Moss has nothing to do with polymeric sand. The moss will return no matter what you use between the pavers because of a somewhat wet and shaded location.

There are many anti-moss products you can use. I like to apply it periodically to keep it clean so pressure washing isn't needed. If you want a more DIY product you can use iron sulfate which a gardener might have on hand though use it sparingly as it can leave rust stains if applied too heavily. A chlorine bleach solution will also work.

Old 05-24-24, 03:06 PM
S
The chlorine solution can hurt the landscaping so I need to be careful. If I spray on, it will kill moss but how to get it off grout without ripping it up?

Old 05-24-24, 03:45 PM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
I would try a vinegar spray. Cheap, safe and effective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: