Caulking for Old Wooden Window to Stop Infestation?

Old 05-25-24, 02:38 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Caulking for Old Wooden Window to Stop Infestation?

Heya,

My husband and I live in a bungalow that was mostly renovated when we bought it, however, the windows will need redoing at some point.

The basement has very old wooden windows, we can't even get them open. The one from the downstairs bathroom has large gaps in the rims, and bugs get in through there. We get infestations every spring and summer, from ants, to pill bugs, to earwigs (those are the worst).

Old wooden window of downstairs bathroom.

I already sprayed with my organic and natural pesticide (which saved my spruce tree from moth infestations), but we also want to plug that window up.

We're looking into gettingsome exterior caulking (we'd only do this on the outside), but is there is something better we can use, or a specific kind of caulking we need? Any advice anyone here may have for us is greatly appreciated.

The photo I took shows what we're dealing with.

Thank you kindly.

Old 05-25-24, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
Lowes carries Vulkem, and if you cut the nozzle pretty large, and caulk at a 45 degree angle to the corners it will turn out pretty good. If you are careful you can use the nozzle to tool it as you move along. And if you're not good at caulking a neat bead and you need to touch it up it tools pretty easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: