Extending a Concrete Step

Old 06-17-24, 10:03 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Extending a Concrete Step

Hello Team,

As you can see from the picture below, I have a weird situation with my garage side door. I don't know why it was built like that, but it is what it is.

I'm fixing my landscaping this year, and someone here suggested I extend the first step to after the door, which is something I would like to do. That said, though I am quite handy, I have very limited experience working with concrete and no experience whatsoever working with concrete forming/rebar. Given that concrete is so permanent, I guess my first question is:
  • Is this a reasonable DIY project, or is this something I should be hiring someone to do?

If this is something I can endeavour myself, I am hoping someone can walk me through this. Off the top of my head:
  • How to make the form.
  • How to connect the new cement to the existing step?
  • Do I need rebar?
  • What kind of cement?
  • Can I cover it with pavers, or should I skim coat it?
  • If I skim coat the whole thing afterwards - how do I do that?
  • How do I make sure it slopes away form the house?

As you can tell, I am starting from scratch so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Nic

Old 06-17-24, 10:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
My son had a similar issue with the top step going to his mailbox. I drilled the top riser and inserted rebar and formed/poured an extension to the top step. He had extra deep steps except for the real narrow top one. That was 7-8 yrs ago and it's held up well.

Old 06-19-24, 02:38 PM
S
OK so in my case that would translate to drilling the bottom riser? How much rebar would you put in there? And then in terms of the form, can I do it with wood? Did you have to slope yours at all?

Old 06-20-24, 02:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I used 3 short pieces of rebar. I used wooded form boards. A slight slope is best.

Old 06-20-24, 12:38 PM
S
Do you think I should rebar into the side of the house as well, or leave an expansion gap instead?

Old 06-21-24, 02:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think I would tie it to the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: