Stone Fireplace

Old 08-02-01, 01:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My fireplace is floor to ceiling stone and I want to replace this with a mantel and tile. What is the easiest and most cost effective way to take of the stone? I don't think the stone is real and behind the stone is a sheet rock wall. Is it going to be possible to take it down without completly damaging the wall underneath or will I need to replace that as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-01, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The answer(s) will be evident after removal begins. Imitation stone can be applied with mortar over lath or in some cases directly with adhesives. Sheet rock would be a really odd backing for natural stone.

Pick a small stone. Chisel then pry it off...thus your answer(s). Sometimes the easiest and the most cost
effective way is a sledge hammer and large wrecking bar...gutting to the studs (at least for the surround).

Before going too far...ensure that the stone over the fireplace is facing and was not assembled as an integral portion of the fireplace. Compare the lines of the facing with the surround and weather or not stones are similar. Remember to go easy with facing removal. Typically facing is attached with metal ties mortared into the brickwork. A mistake may lead to a costly repair.

Old 09-08-01, 12:17 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
hello
If there is stucco stone as you think could be you could remove it easly but it would take most if not all of the sheet rock under it. just plan on replacing the sheet rock and the problem is over....Good Luck.