Chimmeny Caps

Old 08-04-01, 09:05 PM
Visiting Guest
The top of my chimmeny is 24 x 36 deteriorated concrete, time to replace! I have built the form with 3/4 inch tolerance for arround the flue. What is the best way to fill in the gap? I was thinking steel wool and mortar? how about just mortar.
In this chimmeny there is a stainlees steel flexible liner. In the extreme cold about 3 months a year we use this system, the chimmeney is inside the attic and the heat from the chimmeny create an ice dam, should I stuff insulation down the flue beside the liner? If so How much?
What about covering the outside of the chimmeny that is in the attic with Insulation would that help with the condenstion or create furter problems by rotting the mortar?
On one of my chimmenies the clay flue liner is cracked on the top is there a way to fix the cracked clay?

Hoggermel

Old 08-12-01, 01:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is the best way to fill in the gap? Bond break = high temperature backer rod & high termperature silicone/RTV sealant or koawool & sealant. If not locally: http://www.wrmeadows.com/ (rod & sealant).

In this chimmeny there is a stainlees steel flexible liner..... Insulation would that help To save some time: search for the keywords attic and bypass.

On one of my chimmenies the clay flue liner is cracked on the top is there a way to fix the cracked clay? Technically it should be replaced. Patching with high temperature mortar is a stop gap measure and potentially
risky.

Old 09-10-01, 08:00 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
Sound like there is more going on here than meets the eye would like to have more information on each thing you are dealing with...safty here is a real thing that must be looked at...then we can deal with the other things... please get back to me...Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: