Foundation question

Old 08-09-01, 08:17 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
I posted this in the garage section a few days ago, but haven't gotten a response now, so I am re-posting here.

I am thinking about building an attached garage next to my house. The house is on a slope and has a pillar foundation. In order to build the garage, I will have to cut into the hillside to make it level. How close to my existing foundation can I build the garage without undercuting it?

Old 08-12-01, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're asking a potentially loaded engineering question. Hire an engineer after talking to the Building Official or an Inspector about requirements.

Possibly a more prodcutive Building Department visit: 1. Approach during mid-week in the late afternoon after the inspectors have returned. Ask to speak to one. 2. Take a clear picture of the area. Other pictures only if they are highly relevant. 3. Prepare a plan view 'overhead box' of your intentions. Minimally include property lines, house & garage locations, front rear & side yard set backs, drainage plan [hyphenated lines with arrows], slope/grade and pillar location, (under ground utilities if you know).

Don't waste a lot of time drawing a plan, because it will be discarded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: