driveway ramps

Old 08-10-01, 02:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Just had part of my driveway poured in concrete, 4-6 inches deep at the ends of the pourings. Question: What is the best and simplest way to build a ramp to the ends of the driveway's new concrete?? I have leftover brick from the building of my house, a concrete mixer, available sand, rocks from the fields, and gravel. I want to do the simplest thing that will suffice. Thank you

Steve

Old 08-12-01, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simplest - compacted earth or earth & gravel. Useage timeline - B.C. to modern constructon projects.

Old 08-12-01, 05:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. If I were playing on level ground this might be sufficient though rainy weather may change things. At present I simply have sand banked up to it and it does okay for a temporary solution. The concrete I had poured is on a slope (which is the reason I poured concrete, to keep it from washing away) that is packed very hard and has held up for several years. But over time, water began to channel here, cut there and take this slope apart, especially with us driving on it. There are five ends to this particular concrete. Two are on level ground, two are parallel with the slope and water runs by them and would wash away dirt like a gulley, the other end is at the bottom of the slope and here the water levels out and runs off. It looks like a capital T with and extra crossing on it. The top of the T is the level ends. The bar below it is the two ends that must be dealt with the most, and the bottom of the T is the last end where the runoff is going to be channeled. Don't know about that one.

At least at the two in the middle I will have to build a hard slope and some kind of pipe under it for the water.
I just didn't know if there was some quick way that pros use. Maybe not. Thanks again.

Steve

Old 08-12-01, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try the "curb ramp" from http://www.shercomindustries.com The company I work for is using curb ramps to jump 6" curbs on a temporary basis. The ramp has a built in channel for drainage. For a 6" curb we block the ramp with a 4x4 chamfered at an angle. They work great, (even though they are made for rounded curbs), and transport is easier than old planks & beams or dirt.

If concrete: 1 portland, 3 sand, 4 gravel - consider breaking the bond (blackjack, tar paper, plastic, grease, paint). 2" schedule 80 PVC for drainage.

Is there some reason for not using a concrete drainage ditch next to the slab to alleviate undercutting.

Old 08-17-01, 06:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile curb ramps

Thanks for the website. The ramp looks good and if I only needed one, it would be a good solution, but multiplied by 5 gets somewhat expensive. The answer as to why no ditch hardsurface for runoff is that I wasn't sure how or when to do it. The people we hired formed up for the concrete drive, but no allowances were made for this. I knew it would have to be taken care of, but when?? After the form is done?? I decided that the forms themselves had to be removed first so you could then put something down that would butt up to the concrete. So I am there now. I have it in mind to have concrete poured 2 inches deep and form a U shaped trough as a channel. Thanks again for your input.

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: