Foundation Rising, causing upstairs d.wall cracking

Old 08-16-01, 02:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi. I've had some engineering type guys out to my house and they advised me that my basement foundation has risen about one inch.

This has resulted in some drywall cracks in the walls upstairs and in some of the house doors being difficult to close.

The basement has support"poles" which support steel beams (girders?). These poles are adjustable as the have a large bolt or screw in them, where they make contact with the beam. I was told that by lowering these poles an inch by turning the bolts I could correct the problem. The problem is that I've tried adjusting them myself with a pipe wrench, but I can't budge them (after all, there's a house sitting on top of them!). I've used liquid wrench on the bolts to no avail.

Any suggestions or recommendations on how to fix this problem would be Greatly appreciated!

Old 08-18-01, 02:51 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try making a temporary support post, using a 4x4 and a 3 ton hydraulic jack. Place the 4x4 under the same beam that the adjustable post is supporting, as close to it as you can
Jack it up....taking some of the load off the other...
try loosening now.If the temporary post loosens the load off of the existing post,.you may want to cut a 2x4 and wedge it in as a back up for your jack, in case it fails..ie..you will have 2 temps, one 2x4 and one 4x4 on the jack
Hit the problem with a hammer to 'knock it out of round'
WD40 etc....tap tap with the hammer...It should loosen
now, with the load off....
good luck
ryk

Old 08-20-01, 10:25 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks for taking time to reply. Sounds like a great suggestion and I'll give it a shot.

Old 09-10-01, 07:30 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
A pipe wrench is not a great tool for this....you need to get a good wrench that fits the nut box end is best add a cheater about 4' long and with a lot of pressure and making sure you are going the right direction have some one tap the bold with a hammer.....and you should use a good penitrating oil first....I am not that happy with WD40 for this but it can work some times.....Good Luck

[Edited by some help on 09-29-01 at 10:29]

Old 09-10-01, 08:51 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thought occurred to me, now that you remind me.
I have seen those threaded supports, 'spot welded' at the beam. You should have a close look there and see if the weld is holding things up! Of course a long enough 'cheater'
on your wrench might give you the leverage to snap that spot weld ! Not !

good luck
ryk

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: