Remove stucco from brick

Old 09-15-01, 02:15 PM
Visiting Guest
I've seen a lot of posts from people wanting to stucco over brick walls. I want to remove the stucco someone added to the exterior of my circa 1864 brick house. The exterior walls are solid brick not veneer. The stucco is applied directly to the brick (and the limestone block foundation), and looks like it's been there a while. Has anyone done this sort of thing? Is it worth it? The house is not historically significant, except for it's age. Any information would be helpful.

Old 09-15-01, 08:46 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
You can remove the stucco not an easy job but can be done...first once you start it will take time and how good a job you want makes a big difference...Take an out of the way place and play with different things you can hammer on it and see if it will fail with out hurting the brick, some can be washed off with height pressure water if old and lost it temper, sand blasting will work but the brick will go also if not fired real hard when made every thing you do will take a skillful effort on your part to bring it back where it was years ago. with out making the brick look over used and bad,.....and it could be that the home has been repaired or remodeled and that was why the stucco in the first place....Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: