Laying Vinyl Tile over fresh concrete

Old 09-29-01, 02:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I had some work done in my semi-finished basement workroom(a French drain installed). They poured concrete to cover it--a strip about 15 inches wide by 16 feet long--I don't know how thick. I will be laying vinyl tile over this area--the "old fashioned" type--squares attached with adhesive from a can (not the self-stick type). How long do I have to let the concrete cure before I can lay the tile? The contractor told me to wait 4 days before moving my shelving back on top of the concrete; but I failed to ask him when I could lay the tile. I am, of course, anxious to get this done so I can get all the tools & storage stuff out of the middle of my family room! Thanks for your help.

Old 09-29-01, 05:11 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Vinyl on fresh concrete

Most folks recommend 45 days for fresh concrete to cure. I have also read forum posts that stated they waited a year. Even existing concrete can have problems. Moisture should not exceed 3 lbs/1000 SF as measured by calcium cloride. If you are installing a vinyl product on concrete, make sure you get one with a mold/mildew warranty.

Old 09-29-01, 05:14 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Vinyl on fresh concrete

I forgot to mention that following manufacturer's instructions are important to maintaining product warranties. Find out who the manufacturer is and what installation requirements are before beginning installation. Many manufacturers have websites that address installation issues and warranties.

Old 09-29-01, 07:00 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
seal the floor with a water base sealer for cemente floors first and then Use a good latex floor paint and paint the area, let the paint dry extra time to seal the floor...the latex paint will not come off of the floor and the mastic will not come off of the paint ......Good Luck....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: