Chimney Bricks fallen apart

Old 10-01-01, 09:16 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a 3 flue chimney with 1 that is filled in with cement and the other 2 are fireplaces with little use. I have caps on the tops and the brick face is snapping off. The main part of the brick is intact but the finished part is braking off and looks bad. I had the cap resealed a few years ago and looks great but the brick front finish keep coming apart. Help

[Edited by Dion on 10-05-01 at 07:30]

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-01, 06:28 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
the brick you are talking about looking bad, just where are they on the chimney? what type of brick? are all of them chipping?

Old 10-07-01, 04:21 AM
Visiting Guest
The bricks are mostly on the top portion of chimney 2'-8'down from cap. Brick around the cap appears ok. Alot of the crumbling brick faces are on or close to corners. The brick type is like a reclaim look,somebody told me when I bought the house they looked like a doughboy brick, if that means anything. Also I did not describe before in my first e-mail but it does appear like mosture is penetrating the chimmney but not from cap because it was sealed perfectly with some kind of polycoatting 2 years ago, but some portions look like they are damp and some black mold growing on morter.The mortor in between is in good shape no holes or fall out and even on the cracked ones it looks pretty good. It's to bad we don't have the capability of attaching picture files to these questions because I did shoot a couple. Thank You for your reply to me.
Dion

Old 10-07-01, 06:21 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello Dion
I do not know how old your home is but this sounds like time may be working on your brick...The patina the brick is taking on can add a look of old, aged beauty to your brick. This in no way will take from the safty or structure of the chimney. You could slow every thing down if you would use a water base water proofing solution on the brick every year or two.....I do not thing you would want to replace the brick just for the look......If you are near old, old, old buildings have a look at them and see if they don't have a similar look about them.....Hope to hear from you ....Good Luck.....

Old 10-07-01, 09:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Done!
The house was built in 1989, and there is no trees or shade near it.When i say it is breaking off, I mean the whole front finish up to 1/2" deep just gone, the length of the brick,exposing the red rough center. I agree that maybe I should apply a sealer but I guess I should rip out the bad brick 1st.Spray the sealer or brush? Should I power wash it 1st? Thanks

Old 10-07-01, 12:48 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello Dion
1989? The brick should not have any breaking off at this point they should look like new....You could change out the
broken brick if there are not way too many, or you could stucco ofver the brick, I would like to know why this is happening, bad brick? somthing that may have gotten on the brick to break them down? wish I coould be more help, this is a new one on me........Good Luck

Old 10-17-01, 03:37 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
That is a pretty common problem in my part of the country..
Michigan...What tends to happen is many of the bricks today made in this state are a softer brick and absorb to much moisture. The chimney during the winter constantly melts snow on the cap which is absorbed in the brick and then freezes causing the faces to pop off.. We call it shaleing here..

Sealing the bricks with a masonary waterproofing product definatley helps eleminate this problem.. Since your house is newer I would replace the bricks and start sealing it.

Good Luck

Jim

Old 10-18-01, 09:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Brick Shaleing

Thanks Jim, I too live in Michigan, in Romeo and after looking at a few other bricks around the house I think you are right about the shaleing of the face. I guess I'll be replacing and spraying next spring. Thanks again
Dion

Old 10-20-01, 02:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello,

I live in MD and have the same problem with two chimmenys.
I was told by a contractor that they would have to be rebuilt from the middle all the way to the top to fix this and then sealed to prevent it in the future. Estimate of about $8000 for both chimmenys. Is there another alternative ? Cheaper?

Thanks, Zo.