tile over drylock/concrete? help!

Old 10-01-01, 03:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Please help! I have a fresh coat of latex drylock waterproofer over my concrete basement floor. I need advice how to put down ceramic tile. Do I need to remove the drylock? Is there an easy way to remove it? What is the best solution? The floor does not really seem to have a water problem--it was painted with drylock to add extra barrier to moist air.

Old 10-06-01, 06:39 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
How long age was it painted with the drylock? Is the drylock bonding to the slab? Try a test area take a tile and thinset it to the floor wait a few days and take it up and see how it held. and what gave to let it come up.....
now we know what we are dealing with...OK...get back to me after you have tested the area....

Old 10-06-01, 07:57 PM
Visiting Guest
more on the problem...

It was painted about 3 weeks ago. It seems to be adhering well. I will be giving it a try.

Old 10-09-01, 01:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Question OK...tile was set

I put down several tiles. Now what? Pry one up even if it breaks?

Old 10-10-01, 05:46 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
Yes see if one will come up and where it broke loose, if every thing is realy holding I would install the tile.
You have done all you can to test. Good Luck...

Old 10-13-01, 10:32 AM
Visiting Guest
we have the results.....!

Tile and mortar pulled right off the floor with the paint!!! Guess its on to removal. Oh well!

Old 10-14-01, 05:04 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello peggyflynn
SORRY ! !
Check and see if there may be an 800 number on the drylock paint can and give them a call and see if the bonding will get better over time or how the best way to remove the drylock paint....could save a lot of work....Good Luck..

Old 10-18-01, 12:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking no problem

Your advice gave me what I needed to know to feel convinced the work would be worth it. I have some good leads on peel away for removal! thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: