Which foundation method is best?

Old 10-11-01, 11:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Don't know if I've reached the right forum but.... My home , with a slab foundation needs some fairly extensive repairs. The concrete pier guy says his method is best. The cable lock guys says piers and steel piers won't work. The steel pier guy says his method is best for my soil. I live in North Texas with very expansive clay soil and my home is most likely built on badly compacted fill. Anybody there a foundation expert or know who I could be directed to? I know I need the work done but am confused as to what method I should use.Thanks

Old 10-11-01, 02:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does either contractor offer engineering services also? If not, seek the advice of a licensed engineer.

The county engineer or the building official at the building department may offer a general opinion as to which method is better suited or more often used in your area. You could post to the basement forum. The moderator, Jackthecontractor, might offer a general opinion. Or you can cut to the chase and hire a licensed engineer for a case specific solution.

An engineers perspective and knowledge supercedes either contractors, unless either happens to be a licensed engineer in addition to being a licensed contractor.

So far, you have knowledgeable professionals in a dispute providing conflicting opinions. A analogy is two Pharmacists arguing the case for a particular medication for a general medical condition. But neither is fully qualified to examine the patient and then write a medical prescription. Hiring an engineer will put the contractors in their place: dispensing prescribed medication on a contractual basis.

Old 10-11-01, 03:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I think an engineer is the way to go. Two contractors do have engineers on staff who will ok.the repair before it is begun but I feel they would probably be biased toward the contractor. I appreciate your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: