Fireplace Tile

Old 11-08-01, 02:37 AM
Visiting Guest
I am replacing the tile in front of my fireplace (space 1 1/2 x 4 feet.) I am not removing the tile (which is even and in good repair) from the firebox itself. I removed the old terra cotta tiles (original 1901 I think, 1 1/4" thick) and found the reason underneath for the cracked, sunken former surface. The next layer (which was loose and that I removed) was brick pieces with a mortar 'frosting' on top. Below that is the solid brick and mortar base. This base is not level-2 inches below the surrounding wood floor in the front and 4 inches below at the fireplace. I plan to use a leveling compound to even this up before installing the new tiles I have chosen (unpolished marble), is there a particular type of mortar or grout I should use b/c of the proximity to the heat of the firebox? Any experience with sealants? Should I be ok using a natural look penetrating sealer? Should I seal the tiles before I install and then after to get the grout (if thatís what I use?)

Old 11-17-01, 06:59 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
You have every thing covered....after you bring every thing up to subgrade use a thinset tile mud to set the stone and a natural look penetrating sealer would be great to finish it off.....Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: