Ugly old cement...Please help!

Old 11-08-01, 10:19 AM
nedm
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I am redoing my backyard patio. Right now there is this ugly old stained cement. I want to avoid having to rip it up and I was hoping to cover it up. I know very little about cement and I have a few questions. I was thinking that I could pour 2" thick slabs on top of the old cement. (I only have a 2" gap below the door) I fear that being that thin it might crack off so I was thinking of pouring the slabs in 4' x 4' squares and then putting ceramic tiles around each square as a decoration. Can such a thing be done? Even though it is in 4' squares, will it still crack off? What sort of bonding agent should I used to get the new cement to adhere to the old cement? Also, I have seen cement that has larger pebbled gravel and thought that would be a nice effect. What is that called? I have also noticed the some cement is smoother than others. Is this a different type of cement or just a different application method?

any other suggestions that might make this project go a little smoother? Any suggestions you might have would be great.

Ned

Old 11-08-01, 07:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Before you cover up the old cement, if it's in fairly good shape, try cleaning it up a good quality deck-wash (just follow directions).
You can hose off the deck-wash after it does its thing, or even pressure-wash it off of the cement.
You will be amazed at how clean deck-wash can make old cement look.
Also post your question about covering it over in the Ceramic Tile forum. There are some great pros over there.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-09-01, 05:21 AM
nedm
Visiting Guest
Dear OldGuy,

Thanks for the help. But I think the cement is beyond cleaning. It is cracked and has paint drips and is uneven and has chunks missing and one section doesn't match the rest. So cleaning it won't be enough. I spoke with a masonry guy and he said that I can pour thin mortor (cement mixed with sand) and use a cement glue on top of the old before I pour and use a acrylic bonding agent mixed in with the mortor and the cement should hold even if it is 1" or 2" thick. I am not too worried about the tiles because they will be set into the cement. I have done plenty of tile work before and I know they will hold fine. I am only worried about the cement. I would hate for it to crack off in a couple of years. That is why I am going to pour it in 4'x4' slabs. Along with the glue and the bonding agent I am hoping this will hold.

Any special advice before starting a project like this? Any other steps I can take to keep the cement from cracking off?

Ned

Old 11-10-01, 06:36 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
HELLO
If the old slab has cracks the new one will crack in the same place in a short time if you want a good job remove the old and install a new one it will be cheeper over time and will look good for many years the cost will be mony well spent......Good Luck.....

Old 11-12-01, 06:43 AM
nedm
Visiting Guest
doing it right

Dear done right,

Thanks for the advise. And I know it would be better to rip out the old stuff and redo it, but that is a major job and I just don't have the cash to do it right now. Especially since I would have to hire somebody to do that job and I can do the 2" slabs myself. I can do the whole job myself for under $500 as opposed to $2K or more to hire somebody to rip it our and repour. There is only one crack and it seems it will be under where the tiles will be. So if they ever crack off I can just replace them. And if every couple of years I have to replace a few of the tiles that will be fine.

But does anybody have any advice on actually doing this project? Several people have told me ways to avoid doing it, but I need help on actually doing it. Things like...what type of bonding agent should I use? Is there a type of mortar that would be best for this project? Is 4x4 a good size for the slab or would 3x3 be better? Should I put a rebar gid in the cement to add strength? Any tips on applying it to get a smooth even texture? I was also thinking of staining it. any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Ned

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: