Insulfoam Insulation In Brick Walls

Old 12-05-01, 10:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Insulfoam Insulation In Brick Walls

I am interested in an application to insulate my brick walls with a foam insulation product. It will be injected into the space between the two courses of brick (I believe is't called the Wiess Cavity?). I have been told that the foam is porous enough for any water which may penetract the brick to run down the insulation and evaporate back out.

Are there any things I should look out for? Do you have any positive or negative comments on this application?

Old 12-05-01, 01:16 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
porous foam...thats a new one on me!!!

How old is this house that you have 2 layers of brick, I can't imagine enough between to rows to allow for any product to perform as u describe...

how is the house constructed from outside to interior wall complete? Is it a brick structure entirely without framed walls?

More info on your situation may return more favorable responses.

Good Luck

Jim

Old 12-15-01, 05:26 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have seen it done.

Don't quite understand your premise that its inserted between two rows of brick. Thats usually only done on a free standing fence/wall of brick.

On a home, there is a space of about a half an inch at most between the brick veneer and the tyvek/OSB.

Foam insertion by drilling a hole is most commonly done on hollow block in basements. If there is a void in the mortar at places, you'll have some cleanup.

Frankly, if you have a brick (not hollow block) I wouldn't guess you'd get more than an R-2 out of it,,,hardly worth the expense..

As I remember in an approx. 2100 sq ft basement (hollow block walls), the cost was about $1900.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: