"removing" a brick shelf

Old 12-13-01, 06:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Question "removing" a brick shelf

I'm adding a room addition, and I'm not sure what to do with the existing brick shelf. The brick veneer will be removed (as the existing exterior wall will become an internal wall). However, how do I fill in the brick shelf so the floor is level and even, and can support carpet tacking for the new room? Ideas anybody?

Old 01-02-02, 07:37 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
you do not say where the shelf is....at floor hight? under floor joist? if it is part of the foundation can you use it to heop support the new floor joist? Thanks for more info...

Old 01-04-02, 10:24 AM
Visiting Guest
More info

It is on a monolithic concrete slab. The existing brick veneer will be removed and a new room added. The 5.5" x 1.5" brick shelf in the slab will no longer be needed as it will no longer be an external wall. The existing stud wall will become an internal partition to the new room. The existing shelf will leave a shallow u shaped trench that must be filled, somehow. Hope that clarifies. (A picture would really be worth a 1000 words, see attached )

Old 01-05-02, 11:52 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
HELLO
If you have a trench running along the wall and the floor inside and outside is at the same elevation...all you need to do is fill the trench the u shaped hole with concrete keep it low and then finish with a floor leveler like floorstone and make it smooth......... Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: