Bolts in brick

Old 12-18-01, 03:08 PM
HDsuperB
Visiting Guest
Question Bolts in brick

I have a cement brick fireplace that was stuffed with a fisher wood stove/insert. The stove is (approx.)18" out from firebox, resting on brick "bench" that is part of fireplace construction. Problem: There is a large flat piece of steel(?) that has a deflector attached to it. It's like a facia,I guess. This "piece" has pulled the bolts out of the cement bricks,that hold it on. I found 1 lead anchor in 1 hole,but no others.I have the JB weld,industrial strength,for it;But,do I "weld" anchors into brick first, then bolt in? Or, can I just "weld" bolts in without anchors? Mind you,it has pressure,from something,that tends to pull it outward.(sorry so long,hard to explain!) Any help much appreciated.

Old 12-19-01, 02:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cool

The insert should be set level (shimmed, if necessary, with large washers under the front part out on the hearth) so that it is not leaning outward.
All bolts into a fireplace facade can be screwed into expandable lead anchors made for the purpose. They come in different sizes.
The wood-thread bolts expand the lead anchors, and it holds a lot of weight very tightly.
There is no need to glue them with anything.
If you ever want to remove them in the future, you just unscrew the bolt, pullout the anchors, and patch the hole with mortar.
If you have to drill any anchor holes, try to do it into the mortar between bricks (MUCH easier than drilling the brick).
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-19-01, 06:53 AM
HDsuperB
Visiting Guest
Smile Bolts in brick

Thank you for such a quick response! I understand what you said and checked the level; it is tilting forward. Just a bit, but probably is enough to pull on the facia. You've been very helpful....
Happy Holidays!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: