clean & seal brick

Old 12-19-01, 12:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Question clean & seal brick

removed interior drywall & exposed brick chimmney through center of living room.want to know how to clean & seal brick to highlight/stand out brick of chimmney when remodeling is completed.thank you

Old 12-21-01, 06:44 AM
RobSchaef
Visiting Guest
Not really sure what you mean by seal the brick. If you have gaps and cracks between your bricks. You will need to buy some mortor mix and redo the mortor between the bricks. This is best done when there is a gap and the mortor is gone, and needs to be done where you see that. If you have light colored mortor I am not sure how to lighten it up. Maybe add bleach to the mix or some white sand. For cleaning the brick, a somewhat fast and easy solution is Zep grout cleaner. Put something down to protect your floor. Put the grout cleaner in a spray bottle and spray down the brick. Scrub the brick with a brush, not a metal brush. Then spray the brick down with water to nutralize the cleaner. It should look nice. I also cleaned the inside of my chimney and painted it white with 1200 degree engine paint. We already had a gas outlet so I installed gas logs. Nothing but great comments from shocked visiters that had seen the chimmney before. Also our chimney was built with used brick. That is why some are white, not from cleaning.

Pic

My post

Old 12-22-01, 02:48 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used several coats of spar varnish on my brick after cleaning and now have a beautiful shiny red appearance. Very pleasing.

Old 12-31-01, 03:47 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cleaning and sealing old brick chimney

The previous owner of my home removed the plaster from an old chimney on a kitchen wall. The rough handmade bricks and irregular mortar joints make for an interesting focal point on one wall as well as a good topic of conversation when folks are standing around waiting for me to pull supper out of the oven. It has been meticulously cleaned. It appears there are 2-3 coats of polyurethane covering the brick. I personally don't like the high sheen and would have preferred that a penetrating sealer be used so that the brick would look more natural.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: