brick laying

Old 12-30-01, 01:44 PM
Visiting Guest
brick laying

How cold is "too-cold" for laying brick?

Old 12-31-01, 02:40 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Proper temperature for laying brick

Follow the recommendations on your mortar mix. Some tend to report that one should never lay brick when the temperature is below 50 degrees. Others report 40 degrees and that the temperature should not drop below 40 within the next 24-48 hours. Laying bricks in extremely cold situations is best left up to a professional. Concrete/cement must cure by releasing latent heat. If it cures too fast, it will be too hard. If it cures, too slowly it may not harden. The colder the temperature, the more quickly the heat escapes, making for harder concrete that is more apt to crack should there be settlement. Professionals erect tent-like tarpaulins and use heaters under the tarps to keep temperatures up when laying in cold temperatures. They also use warm water in the mortar and cover the finished job to keep it warm until it cures. Should a professional offer to lay brick in cold weather and/or introduce a winter admixture to the mortar, I'd get it writing that he guarantees that the mortar will not crack.

Old 12-31-01, 03:17 PM
55Redneck
Visiting Guest
I was gonna answer this but Twelvepole said it as good as anyone could. Good stuff guy.

Old 12-31-01, 03:36 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Brick laying

Hello, Redneck!

Sometimes a woman beats a man to the punch!

Best regards and Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-02, 07:06 AM
55Redneck
Visiting Guest
Red face Re: Brick laying

Originally posted by twelvepole
Hello, Redneck!

Sometimes a woman beats a man to the punch!

Best regards and Happy New Year!
Oops Twelvepole. Sorry. Being new here I didn't realise you were a female. Happy new year to you too.

P.S. my sig line is just a Red Green line that cracked me up one day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: