I need help to drill hole in concrete

Old 01-31-02, 11:35 PM
Debbie Ann
Visiting Guest
Question I need help to drill hole in concrete

I am trying to drill holes though plywood to attach it to an old, poured concrete foundation. I bought a 'masonry' drill bit, and I'm having no luck at all. Any suggestions?? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-02, 12:53 AM
joeh20
Visiting Guest
I need help to drill hole in concrete

You might make sure that the bit is carbide tipped. If that doesn't work you'll probably need a rotary percussion or hammer drill to go with you masonary bit.

Old 02-01-02, 05:12 AM
Debbie Ann
Visiting Guest
My drill bit said 'Titanium' (sp?). Is that a good bit? Thank you

Old 02-01-02, 07:11 AM
pmg
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Debbie Ann
My drill bit said 'Titanium' (sp?). Is that a good bit? Thank you

Old 02-01-02, 07:17 AM
pmg
Visiting Guest
I don't believe a titanium drill bit is used for masonry.You will need a carbide tipped masonry bit with a drill,or ideally,a hammer drill.You can also purchase a tap-con set,which is nothing more than a masonry bit that comes with a box of high strength concrete screws that are one size larger than the bit itself.Simply pre-drill your holes into the concrete and later attatch your board by screwing the "tapcon" screws into your pre-drilled holes.

Old 02-01-02, 01:33 PM
Debbie Ann
Visiting Guest
Thank you and you are right, the bit I was using is a Carbide Tip.

I just bought another bit at Home Depot. It is a 'Bosch' brand 3/16", industrial hammer drill bit. Employee said this bit is better. I hope it works. Debbie
PS The Titanium coated bit was another bit I bought.

Old 02-01-02, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You need two different bits.
One to drill the plywood, and a masonry bit to drill the concrete.

Old 02-01-02, 02:29 PM
Debbie Ann
Visiting Guest
Thank you. That's how I got the names of the two bits mixed up. The bit for the wood is Titanium coated and the drill bit for the concrete is Carbide. I used them correctly, one for wood and the other for concrete. When I use the new concrete bit I'll let you know how it goes.....

Old 02-01-02, 03:12 PM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
You might also investigate using liquid nail or some other industrial adhesive. This would allow you to drill fewer holes and still get a solid bond.

Old 02-01-02, 04:51 PM
Debbie Ann
Visiting Guest
That's a very good idea Toucansam, thank you.

Old 02-22-02, 06:37 AM
Debbie Ann
Visiting Guest
Talking

Well, as usual...I got great advice regarding my problem with drilling holes in concrete...I used an industrial caulk/adhesive. I should have been more careful !! :-)
I used an old piece of 2x2 and attached it to some old concrete outside...I wanted to be sure it worked...Now, I can't remove the piece of wood....it worked VERY well..hahaha :-) Thanks guys...
Debbie :-)~~

Old 02-22-02, 10:22 AM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
You can probably splinter the wood off of the adhesive, but you may be left with the adhesive on the concrete forever. LOL

Old 03-04-02, 02:38 PM
amazingwomyn
Visiting Guest
Drill a hole in concrete

You might find a problem with using a carbide tipped masonary drill bit if (1) the concrete is very old...as it gets harder with age; or (2) if it has larger, harder pieces of rock in it. You see, the carbide tip is hard but may chip or shatter if it suddenly hits a harder substance. Also, the method you use to drill may dull the bit quickly if you either put too much pressure and/or speed when drilling or if you use too little pressure and/or speed. A variable speed drill is a good investment. You can even get a hammer drill that has variable speed as well as a drill only option. With variable speed you can either hear or feel when there is a problem that needs to be adjusted.

Old 03-04-02, 07:30 PM
Debbie Ann
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for your information. You are correct about the old concrete....... I'm learning so much from this web site and I thank everyone for taking time to help me....Debbie