pouring a 20 X 30 shed floor

Old 02-05-02, 06:00 AM
Jim Bunton
Visiting Guest
pouring a 20 X 30 shed floor

I want to pour a floor in my existing shed. It will be used as a garage/work shop. I need as much information as I can get. I have very little experience doing this but the doing is part of the fun. Some of the questions that come to mind are

What tyoe and how much steel should I use?

How thick should I pour? I am in Illinios so it will go through freeze thaw cycles.

What needs to be done to prep the area before the pour? It is mostly dirt now. How level does it need to be? Do I need to compact it? It has been in place for over 20 years.

Do I need expansion lines? If so how do I put them in?

Can this be poured in sections instead of all at once?

Old 02-09-02, 05:24 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Im by no means an expert with concrete, but I have poured my share of it around the farm here for years off and on. First determine your final elevation of the floor, figure at least 5 inches of concrete {preferebly more if your going to have heavy traffic on it], a few inches of sand or pea gravel for a base that will have to be compacted either with a gas engine compactor, or as I have done, with a lawn roller. Then excavate the dirt out to your lower elevation. You can lay down wire mesh, use old wire fence if you can get some, or you can add fiber to the concrete mix for a few more bucks a yard. Just use a rake and pull the wire up an inch or two into the wet concrete when you pour. the gravel base doesnt have to be perfectly level, but the leveler it is, the less concrete you will need, just be sure you have your desired thickness of concrete. you wouldnt have to pour it all at once, but 20x 30 shouldnt be a problem to pour at one time..hope that helps ya

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: