Thin Brick - Indoor installation

Old 02-13-02, 03:53 PM
Zute
Visiting Guest
Question Thin Brick - Indoor installation

I have a sunroom in my basement that I am transforming into a winter storage garage for my motorcycle. Currently it is drywall, but I want to make it look like an old biker bar I used to frequent when I was in Holland.

Any tips, advice, or information is greatly appreciated.

I am a new homeowner, and new to any type of home improvement...but feel I am competant enough, if provided directions and advice...to do a good job with it.

All replies appreciated.

Old 02-13-02, 06:43 PM
BRICK4U
Visiting Guest
Using thin brick...

... can be easy and hard at the same time. But it is all in how involved you want to get in making your project look authentic.

You can get the thin brick face pieces (various manufacturers call them by different names... panels, slabs, etc.) from most brick distributors. They should be able to give you helpful information on the installation too!

Give Alan Richardson a call at PVB (Potomac Valley Brick). Tell him Tom from Southside Builders Supply in Richmond sent you.

Good luck!

www.southsidebuilders.com

PS
Don't forget to use the special 2-sided or 3-sided corners that are available for outside 90 degree corners, sills and hearths that will create the illusion of full thickness brick!

Old 02-14-02, 05:58 AM
Zute
Visiting Guest
using thin brick

Where are they located?

I'd like to be able to drive and talk to the guy.

Old 02-18-02, 04:41 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
Half inch thick brick is manufactored by various brick companies.
It is the same as full size brick only thinner. I have installed and sold hundreds of jobs useing this product.

Glen Gary brick makes some of the most appealing brick for an old style texture. One I have in mind is the Milwaukee blend.

Installing it is easy, its the grouting that you will not find appealing. To install the bricks on the wall you simple chaulk out lines so that every three courses of brick and mortar lines take up 8 1/2 inches. Most brick layers use 8" for every 3 courses, but you will find it much easy to grout if you have slightly larger mortar joints.

The bricks can be adhered to the wall by simply using a good tile adhesive. I always liked double duty. Bricks are set on wall basically just like doing tile. you can install different patterns, running bond , soldier coursing etc. If necessary you can tap a few finish under the bricks if they tend to move. We used to add a minimal amount of mortar to the double duty and mix it, held the bricks without nails.

After all the brick is installed you need to grout between the bricks. Then most common method for the 1/2" brick tradesmen is to use a pastry bag with a number 5 tip for putting the mortar in between the joints. You do not need to use mortar with anything but cement and sand, (no gravel - it clogs the pastry bag) After the mortar has started to set, If you use a 1" round pipe about 6 " long and rake the head joints from top to bottom first , then the bed joints horizontally, This will knock off most of the excess mortar and pack it tightly between the brick. Do small areas 10 to 20 square feet at a time. After a while later when the mortar is pretty much set up you can run a bristle brush diagonally across the face of the brick, this will clean up the remainder of the mortar off the face of the brick. If it appears dusty on the surface after, a lite cleaning with muratic acid and water mixture will clean it up.

some of the 1/2 brick manufactorers I am aware of

http://www.fireplaceandspa.net/thinbrick.htm
US Brick

Glen Gary
Summit

If done right, you will never be able to tell its 1/2" brick

BTW where do you live?

Good luck

Jim

Old 02-18-02, 06:32 PM
Zute
Visiting Guest