removing paint from exterior brick

Old 03-08-02, 05:06 PM
cmorritt
Visiting Guest
removing paint from exterior brick

We have an one hundred yr old brick house. It appears that some time ago someone ( believe it or not) experimented with the idea of painting the porch brick ( originally brick-orange colour) a cream colour. There are brush strokes and a few solid areas. It has been there for a long time. I have thought of hiring people to water blast the areas as opposed to sand blasting because the brick seems soft and fragile.
My question is, is there some cleaning product I could try myself to gently remove the paint? The job is not that big.
Any ideas??
Catherine

Old 03-08-02, 06:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just saw this link in the wood refinishing forum posted by George. The company has some great "looking" products for paint removal...... www.peelaway.com

Old 03-08-02, 08:06 PM
BRICK4U
Visiting Guest
Please keep all pressure washers (water & sand) away from "old brick"! Old brick are typically "soft mud" units made by hand. They can't handle the pressure from either of the powered sprayers.

Since you said yourself that it is a small job, I believe the "peelaway" or any poultice-like cleaner, applied by hand should do the best job.

Good luck.

www.southsidebuilders.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: