Replacing a brick retaining wall?

Old 05-10-02, 12:12 AM
yardcat
Visiting Guest
Replacing a brick retaining wall?

I have a 10' by 6' yard on a hill, surrounded by a 2' tall brick wall on the downhill side. The front brick gets stacked higher as the wall goes down the hill and the uphill side is only 2 bricks deep. The downhill side has slipped about 5" downhill, and there is no foundation or footing - this was created in 1940. I've heard several times that I should replace this with a concrete wall, and add drainage, since that's why the wall has slipped. Is this good advice? Thanks,

Old 05-10-02, 08:45 AM
pmg
Visiting Guest
Yes,sounds like good advice although you are not limited to a concrete wall alone-there are dozens of options for masonry retaining walls - Stone is strong and natural looking,there are also dozens of types of precast block retaining wall sytems.

Old 05-10-02, 04:33 PM
BRICK4U
Visiting Guest
I would suggest an SRW ...

... but any type of retaining wall, either brick or block (both of which would require a reinforced footing), or segmental retaining wall make sure you have provided sufficient drainage. At the base, install atleast a 4" perforated PVC draintile, a filter fabric, and washed gravel... and the washed gravel needs to be used every course to the top... to provide hydraulic pressure relief and drainage from any water pressure behind the wall. That pressure is the reason most walls fail... regardless of what material is used ... block, SRW, or even railroad ties! SRW's typically use a set-back which also helps to work against the forces of the soil behind the wall. If you're going over 4', please use some geotextile fabric to help reinforce your hill starting on about the second course and alternating courses to the top. Consult with your nearest SRW distributor or consult an soil engineer if you have unstable soil conditions. With the diverse products available on the market today, there shouldn't be any wall failures if you make sure that your footing, base, and wall materials are installed correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: