Interlocking Pavers

Old 05-20-02, 01:02 PM
maryisme
Visiting Guest
Interlocking Pavers

Hi,
Can interlocking pavers for a pathway be put in either sand or cement?

Thank you.

Mary

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-02, 03:50 PM
BRICK4U
Visiting Guest
To answer your question: either is possible. But, why would you want to mortar them together? You defeat the purpose of using them.

The whole reason for using interlocking concrete pavers is:
- to allow movement and flex
- allow some moisture to percolate down... not having 100% runoff
- provide a myriad design possibilities (colors, shapes & textures)
- having the option for change and addition without major construction
- vehicular rated without the need for a concrete slab under
- etc, etc.

Interlocking pavers need to be laid on compacted sand or rockdust. Mortaring will only destroy the finish (cement gets down into the porous concete) and create a maintenance issue down the road with settlement.

You should use one of the polymeric sands to sweep in between the joints once you've finished your project. After several months, you could go ahead and seal the pavers. Do not do it until after the material has been wet and dry for several cycles. Most all concrete pavers will effloresce. You don't want to seal them until that period is over.

Good luck with your project.

www.southsidebuilders.com

Old 05-21-02, 06:37 AM
maryisme
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your response. It is appreciated. I will be heeding your advice and laying them in sand.

Mary

Old 05-21-02, 08:44 AM
maryisme
Visiting Guest
Another Question

Just a little background if you don't mind. My husband and I are doing this job together, we are big do it yourselfers (you should see our new bathroom ). Anyway, his concern is water leakage into our basement. We will be replacing a 42 foot concrete walkway that is adjacent to our home (walkway is right up against the side of our house) with the pavers and he *thinks* laying them in sand will cause water to leak into our basement.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Mary

Old 05-21-02, 08:28 PM
BRICK4U
Visiting Guest
This tidbit of information than might assist:

Remove all soil from beside the foundation in question. Clean and seal the foundation wall with a cement based or elastomeric waterproofer. Line the area with polyethylene. Then run some perimeter insulation (expanded or extruded polystyrene) along the run. Line the trench created with 4" plastic drain tile. Cover the tile with filter fabric. Cover the pipe and fabric with washed gravel. Bring in your gravel for compaction sloping away from the home. Spread your leveling sand. Lay your pavers. Compact your pavers. Spread and sweep a polymeric sand in between the joints.

This is only one way of completing this project. I certainly invite others to offer their advice.

Good luck with your project.

www.southsidebuilders.com

Old 05-23-02, 11:20 AM
maryisme
Visiting Guest
Thanks again

Thank you for your quick response. Before undertaking any project, I try to pick as many brains as possible. Your information was quite helpful.

Mary