Quikrete to set pavers?

Old 05-23-02, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quikrete to set pavers?

Would it be appropriate to set pavers on an outside concrete portch with quikrete? Are there better products.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-02, 08:51 PM
BRICK4U
Visiting Guest
To answer your question, "Quikrete" is suitable for many jobs. However, sometimes before you can use it you might need to make sure of several other things.

1) I certain hope you are referring to "Mortar Mix" and not "Sand Mix". (Please get the contractor grade Type "S". The D-I-Y blend is not batched and graded as carefully. It's worth looking for. You'll have more natural "stick" with the Type "S" also because of the increased portland cement content.)

2) Is the porch enclosed or exposed to weather?

3) Was the concrete pad floated to a slick finish when it was originally poured?

4) Was the pad ever painted or sealed?

If the porch was floated smooth, sealed or painted... you'll need to remove the paint... attempt to remove some of the sealer... or etch the surface in some way to promote a better bond. You should also consider using an acrylic bonding agent in the masonry cement... as well as painting it onto the concrete slab surface you're covering. (Old and new cement do not stick together... and mortar is cement.) If the porch is exposed to weather, you'll want to seal the brick pavers and mortar joints a week or so after you've cleaned the work and know the project is completely dry.

This is only one way of completing this project. I certainly invite others to offer their advice.

Good luck with your project.

www.southsidebuilders.com

Old 05-26-02, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response.

To answer your questions the porch has an overhead roof but otherwise is open, it has a slick surface and had been painted one or more times and had a green carpet/glue on it. I do not know if it was otherswise sealed (how could you tell). Very recently I removed the carpet glue and most paint with a contracters disk sander to a relativley smooth finish.

I am unaware of a Type S Motar mix made by qwikcrete. To my knowledge there is a mortar mix, a mason mix, a sanded tile grount, a thinset sanded mix, a thinset multipurpose mix, a thinset wall mix, and a thinset sanded mix. I take if from your earlier comment, the motar mix would not be a good choice. Are one of the others the Type S mix you were referring to or have I overlooked it. I read elsewhere about a Thin-set Mortar from TEC, would this be superior to the Qwikqrete products. Any other product recommendation that may be better to the above choices. Thanks in advance for your consideration.