Installing Flagpole Mount in Brick

Old 05-25-02, 01:19 PM
SometimesFixIt
Visiting Guest
Installing Flagpole Mount in Brick

My wife would like me to install a brass flagpole mount on the front of our house. The house has a front brick face with aluminum siding on the sides and rear. I mention this in case this conveys any information about the thickness of the brick face, etc.

The flagpole mount requires three screws. Do I mount it on the brick or into the mortar? If mounted on the brick it will sit flat but I worry about weakening the brick causing it to fracture. If mounted in the mortar the bracket will likely not sit flush. Between the weight of the flag and the wind (I live in Chicago suburbs) there will be a lot of stress on whatever I mount it to. Perhaps I am worrying too much?

I have Tapcon masonry screws that are the same length (but slightly smaller head) as the brass wood screws that came with the mount. I assume I should use the Tapcon screws instead of the wood screws.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-02, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screwing into brick

"You will need three Items :
-a variable speed drill
-a masonry drill bit
-a Tapcon Masonry screw.
You will purchase a masonry bit that is 1/16th smaller in diameter than the diameter of the screw you are using. You will drill a hole in the brick, then install the screw through the plaque. Because the screw will be slightly large, it will self tap but be snug enough not to come out." Brick Q's & A's. Masonry. HandymanWire. Retrieved 26 May 2002. http://www.handymanwire.com/question...nrybrickq.html