Cap tile (?) around concrete pool - HELP!

Old 05-29-02, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cap tile (?) around concrete pool - HELP!

Sorry if this is long winded, but here it goes....

Have an inground pool that is about ten years old and for the past two years, when we pull off the cover it seems that some of the tiles around the top of the pool wall have popped off. I started looking at the areas where this was happening and saw that it was caused by the concrete cap pieces around the top of the pool shifting. I guess that water got into the seam between these cap pieces and the sidewalk that's right behind them and when it froze, it pushed the cap pieces towards the pool and they, in turn, pushed some of the tiole off the top of the pool wall.

I pulled up one of the cap pieces and saw that it had completely separated from the wall. There was supposed to be mortar under it, but it looks like the pool people just set them into the shot-crete while it was still wet.

The problem is that a call to the pool guys ended with them telling me that I'd have to sell my first-born child in order to pay for the repair.

So how do I do this myself? Should I mix up a thin layer of grout and apply it with a serraated edge trowel as if I were laying tile? Or should I use a concrete adhesive out of a tube to get the cap pieces to stay in place? ALSO, there's about a half inch joint between each of the cap pieces and the old mortar is still stuck in there. I think that it would be best to clean all of this old stuff off the tiles before I even start. Does anybody know any tricks to getting this stuff off?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-02, 05:10 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
If you're looking to replace your tiles, and they're going to be adhered to a concrete type base, you should look into epoxy tile adhesive. It takes dynamite to remove this stuff. This adhesive far and away blows everything else off the market for this type of work when looking for long term strength and resilience. Of course it's not cheap, but you won't have to sell your first born either.

There's also epoxy grout that is stainless and is also extremely strong.

I did a custom shower with this stuff and it's amazing. You have to work on the quick side, but if you've prepared everything correctly you won't have a problem.

I've use my Dremel tool to remove grout and mortar. If you don't have a Dremel yet and you own a home, you owe it to yourself to take a look.

Check out www.laticrete.com and search around for your application. They have a section specifically on pools and spas.

Good luck!