crumbling brick

Old 06-12-02, 09:08 PM
mollies73
Visiting Guest
crumbling brick

I have an older victorian style home circa 1902 or so. The bricks in the basement are crumbling and there is a constant layer of red dust on the floor. Is there something that can be put over top the bricks to stop this? Do the bricks need to be replaced?

There is also wood that has been placed here and there in the basement walls. Is there a reason for this or do you think someone was just shoving wood in instead of replacing broken bricks?

Thanks - Mollie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-02, 08:50 AM
pmg
Visiting Guest
The red dust is common on a chimney of that age in the basement-constant moisture plays a role.I would recommend repairing it with like bricks-sealing this would do very little,or cause further damage in the future.You can bring a sample to a mason supply yard to try and match these but I'd be willing to bet these are what we call "antique brick".Smaller and thinner than most common brick but a very nice historic look at the same time.Mason yards might not carry these but if your heart is dead set on getting a close match then look in your local yellow pages for demolition companies-they usually stockpile brick taken from old buildings-they usually let you paw through the pile and pick what you need.If your not concerned about an exact match then go with a "new used" or something close.Best thing to do is bring a sample down to your brickyard.When replacing these brick back into your chimney,it's very important to make your mortar with much more lime than portland cement.All these brick are soft so you want to keep the joints soft and expandable without damaging further areas.I hope this helps........