sealant for tile and grout?

Old 06-14-02, 08:25 AM
chuckie
Visiting Guest
sealant for tile and grout?

I recently bought a home that was manufactured in '92. The master bath has a plastic jacuzzi tub that doubles as a shower. Around the perimeter of the tub and up the walls is white tile. Unfortunately, the tile was applied to standard white drywall, NOT greenboard. Fortunately, the tile is not exposed to too much water in this application due to the large size of the tub and the resultant distance from the shower's water stream; there is never any standing water. I was under the house and looked at the subfloor and joists and I saw no sign of moisture or water damage. I was thinking of applying regular bath caulking in a few places where cracks have formed in the grout. Also, I was thinking of using a weather sealer like Thompson's over the tile and grout to provide a little bit of a moisture barrier to reduce the likelihood of moisture penetrating the porous grout. Do I still have something to worry about? Should I strongly consider removing the tile and installing the proper backing? ALL ideas and opinions are welcome.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-02, 08:16 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
I've put caulk in areas where grout has shrunk without any problems. If the area you're concerned isn't subjected to much water then simply leave it alone at this point. If everything is doing fine, then no need to fix something that really isn't broke.

Don't go over your tile with Thompsons. On second thought, don't ever spend your money on Thompsons for any project, it's total junk. They sell grout sealers you can apply to help with water penetration and to help keep it from staining.