brick

Old 06-15-02, 11:05 AM
frankhyatt
Visiting Guest
brick

How do you lay curved brick for a round fire pit? I have laid the firebrick, but now I am laying the red brick on the outside and I want it to look good. Help!

Last edited by frankhyatt; 06-15-02 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-02, 06:49 PM
BRICK4U
Visiting Guest
That question is as tough to answer in this forum as this one... "How does one drive a nail with no steering wheel?"

Now, what type of masonry wall are you building? Single or multi-wythe brick, brick with block backup, etc.?? I'm wondering if you mean a wall with a single curve or a serpentine wall with both convex and concave curves.

But to answer your question in the most basic terms, go get your box of dominoes. Lay them end to end. Now lay them in a curve. That is the same way you will lay your brick wall. You can't bend a rectangle, so you have to adjust the head joint (where each brick meet end to end)... making either the front or back of the joint thicker or more narrow depending on which way the wall is to curve.

Old 06-17-02, 12:31 PM
pmg
Visiting Guest
ok here's my 2 cents worth- you can also cut an angle on the back of each brick if you want to get fancy and have tight joints