cracked concrete floor

Old 06-16-02, 08:19 AM
PsyGrad
Visiting Guest
cracked concrete floor

I have a den that has a concrete floor. This floor is part of the concrete foundation that serves also a screened in porch and a garage, and extends off the basement. All around the edges of this floor has severe cracking. It looks as if the house settled and the concrete pulled away from the wall area. Is it possible to have this leveled off without jackhammerring a lot of it out? My first issue is to save money, but I want it done right. (As we all do) Also, I am going to put some type of flooring (pergo, vinyl tile, ceramic tile) over it. Any ideas in lieu of fixing the floor? Currently, there was rug, which I ripped up because wife doesn't like rug, and it has vinyl tile , which is cracked around those areas. What is the best thing to do, and least costly? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 06-16-02, 07:51 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
How bad is the cracking? You say the house may have settled and pulled away, how much are we talking about?

If it's around the edges and not that much, you can simply go over it with the Pergo and forget about it. Or you can fill in the area yourself provided the concrete you put in has something to lay on, meaning there's some kind of floor between the crack. Quickrete makes a vinyl concrete patcher that will adhere to your existing concrete floor, it's about $10 for a 40lb bag.

I put down a Pergo floor in my kitchen, and I ripped up the subfloor pretty good to move some pipes and so forth. When I repaired the subfloor, it wasn't exactly level with what was existing, and I just added an extra layer of the whisper walk foam and it's been 4yrs without a problem and you'd never know what's underneath, and I'm talking about an area in the middle of the floor that sees all kinds of traffic.

If you don't think the cracking is actually causing a problem and it's not too wide, along with being at the edge, you might just be fine going right over it with the Pergo.

Old 06-16-02, 09:37 PM
PsyGrad
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. However, I am not sure, how much is consider severe cracking. At places, the width of the crack is at most 1", it would appear that the whole floor needs to be leveled, since the settling has made the floor drop at the most 3/4 of and inch. What is this whisper foam that you speak of? Would that make up the difference?

Old 06-17-02, 06:54 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
Whisper walk is the foam Pergo sells to go under their flooring, it makes the floor feel "softer" and lets you go over small imperfections in the floor without letting them telegraph thru.

Pergo now makes a type of their flooring that doesn't get glued together, and I'm not sure but it may have a soft backing. Like I said, my subfloor was in bad shape and I put down some extra foam to take up the space and haven't had a problem at all.

A 3/4" drop in your floor is quite a bit. I would be concerned that there is possibly a problem underneath. If the concrete were to shrink away from your walls or seperate, I can see that, but to have your floor actually sink down is something entirely different. Are you sure the house didn't rise around your floor!

Putting down ceramic tile doens't sound like a good idea due to your floor movement. The tile might crack down the road and you'd have another headache. With the Pergo, we're talking about a floating floor that doesn't get attached to anything, and will allow for movement.

Finally, if it were me, and I felt sure that the floor wasn't going to move anymore, I'd make an attempt to repair it with concrete patcher and go over it with the Pergo. What's the worst that can happen? Chances are unless your house is built on swampland, you'll be fine and won't have anything to worry about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: