flagstone on concrete

Old 06-19-02, 08:05 AM
rgalaviz
Visiting Guest
Question flagstone on concrete

I am going to install flagstone on concrete (walkway). The walkway is about 3 ft wide with rock on one side and a flowerbed on the other. Never done this before, is there a website with step by step instructions? I want to do this without brick for borders, can this be done? Where do I start?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-02, 02:07 PM
padudeman
Visiting Guest
Clean the slab and hose off the bottom surface of stone© Apply a thin set mortar with a bonding agent to the concrete and spread to desired thickness with a trowel with squared out trowel edge© Usually less than 1/2" thick is fine© Lay stone from outer edges and work towards the middle of the sidewalk© Leave a consistent gap between the stones to grout later© When you get to the center you might have to break stones with a wide chisel or diamond blade saw to make them fit© You will be doing a lot of marking and cutting© Try to keep stones level and follow the contour of the existing slab© After all the stones are set get a grout bag and squeeze the mortar in between the stones© You can color this mortar if you want to© Clean the grout with a damp sponge before it dries© Stand back and admire© Remember, take your time setting because you will have to look at it forever©