1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Old 02-22-04, 10:20 AM
1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Looking at a 1993 Grand Voyager to buy for a second car. Would be buying this from a relative who bought it new. It has 130,000 miles on it. Just recently put in a new transmission. I can buy it for $1000.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this vehicle and if it is worth it when you can purchase it for $1000?

Thanks,

Harlan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-04, 11:16 AM
If no rust, otherwise straight body, and sound mechanicals it sounds like a fair deal. Keep in mind that most people worry about the cost of failure of the drive train, engine and transmission. But in fact the failure and replacement of other parts often adds up to more expense over the long haul.

That said, if you drive it for a year and it dies on you you're only out $1,000. Thats about 2 months worth of typical payments on a new car.

A good source for information of the typical problems affecting different models of cars is edmunds.com. They have discussion groups by make and model just like doityourself has.

Good luck with the new ride.

Frank

Old 02-23-04, 06:06 PM
one of the V6s they put in those vans was a notorious oil burner and ring blower. I think it was the 3.0, but I'm not 100% sure. By 93 they may have stopped using that motor.

Old 04-15-04, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by stereoguy
one of the V6s they put in those vans was a notorious oil burner and ring blower. I think it was the 3.0, but I'm not 100% sure. By 93 they may have stopped using that motor.
The 3.0 is alive and well and still one of the best engines they have. They do occasionally have a "valve guide" problem with oil consumption. This is very obvious and can be determined easily. Just warm the engine to operating temp and let it idle for 10-15 minutes, then throttle it up to about 2000rpm. If it has a valve guide problem, the blue smoke will be everywhere at this point. No smoke, no problem. They are a little expensive to replace the timing belt and water pump so see when that was last done. Otherwise they have been one of the most popular minivans ever made.