info.on 91 toyota mr2

Old 05-12-04, 07:19 PM
Smile info.on 91 toyota mr2

my son is looking at a 91 toyota mr2 t-top 4-cyl 5-speed 150,000.is a local car .i have driven it .is very nice for the mileage and year. is there any thing special that should be paid attention too by me before he makes an offer on this car.anything that for that model,maybe has a tendency to have problems more than others? any input would be appreciated.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-04, 06:36 AM
primo8998
Visiting Guest
I would look for rust around the fenders. The motors for that car are really cheap if needed to be replaced. You can find them on ebay with trans for around 800 bucks or cheaper. Fun car to drive! Have you looked at any turbo models? The reason i say is the the resale would be 10x better due to how rare they are.

Old 05-14-04, 07:56 AM
There is a MR2 message forum that is quite active and helpful. It's www.mr2oc.com. Go to the second generation MR2 section to ask questions. I have a 1987 MR2 and it's my winter beater car. It has a LOT of rust in the rear fender area where the mudflaps use to be. But it has been an extremely reliable car. I am the original owner with 186,000 miles. Good luck with the 91 MR2.

Old 05-14-04, 09:06 AM
mr2 is being sold by original owner

my son noticed him driving it around and followed him home to ask questions about it and the guy said it was for for .there was for for sale sign on it up till then. the guy had it repainted because it had faded over the years.absolutely no rust no dents interior is next to perfect t-top.power windows.doors,air cruise cd rides good,he said he has never replaced shocks or struts ,which does it have? i didn't have time to look at everything yet.he said it used about a qt of oil per 1000 miles .is that bad for this car? no power steering but once you get in on the road it doesnt seem to be a real problem. what do you think this car might be worth .tires are brand new. ive checked out kellys blue blook.

Old 05-20-04, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Roeboat109
he said it used about a qt of oil per 1000 miles .is that bad for this car?
yes, that is bad for any car. a quart every 3k would be ok, but this car probably needs rings or other engine work. This is likely why he is selling it.

Do a google search for "mr2 forum" and look for a mr2 community for more info.

edit: I recently learned that it is common and normal for 996 style 911 to burn a quart or more every 1000 miles. I still think that is bad for an MR2, but I have to retract my previous statement about it being bad for any car.

Last edited by stereoguy; 09-04-04 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-23-04, 08:16 PM
86toyotamr2
Visiting Guest
Exclamation im having problems with this car

okay....i just replaced the head gasket and had the head resurfaced in my 1986 toyota mr2. everything is fine, its running fine and its not overheating or anything...except....when it's put into drive, it has absolutely NO power AT ALL. its okay in low and in 2nd, but not drive....can ANYONE HELP ME AT ALL, PLEASE?!!!!

Old 09-04-04, 02:54 AM
86toyotamr2 - start a new thread in the Automotive forum for help of this sort.

Search this Thread