Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Owning 2 cars

Visiting Guest

05-20-04, 12:43 PM   #1  
Daedalus
Owning 2 cars

I have another question. As noted in a previous post, I'm about to buy a new car. What I would like to do is keep my current car (92 Corolla) and use it as my winter car. I live in the Canadian prairies and I'm not about to spend 30K on a new car, only to drive it through snow, ice and salt for 6 months of the year. Since I would only get about $2000 for my current, it only seems to make sense to only drive my new car in the summer, which will also make it last longer. My 92 Corolla runs just fine and is a good winter car.

Does anyone else have any experience or suggestions about owning 2 cars at the same time and does this sound like a good idea or a foolish one? As for insurance, I would insure each car for 6 months at a time. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

05-20-04, 05:14 PM   #2  
I like owning multiple cars. If one breaks or is in the shop, you have one to fall back on. Routine maintenance can pile up if you let it, but overall its a good thing especially when you're dealing with salt and rust. You'll want comprehensive on the expensive car year round.

Visiting Guest

05-23-04, 07:42 PM   #3  
Daedalus
I decided to sell my current car and go with only one. I have a feeling I'm going to be kicking myself in the winter time. The dealer gave me $2000 for my current car which is a lot more than I could ever get for it so I guess it sort of worked out for me, especially since I was just dumping money into it (eg. new muffler, brakes, oil gasket).

05-24-04, 09:40 PM   #4  
The Camry should do fine in the snow. Newer cars have much better rust protection than older ones as well. It probably comes with 100,000 mile corrosion protection anyway.

05-28-04, 06:04 PM   #5  
Assuming that you financed the new car, your lender never would have let you cancel the insurance in the winter anyway.

05-29-04, 11:02 PM   #6  
Some will let you drop collision during a time period that you aren't driving a car.

Search this Thread