Suggestions for Cars to purchase? Models?

Old 07-25-04, 03:30 PM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
Question Suggestions for Cars to purchase? Models?

I am researching on purchasing a new vehicle either 2005, 2004, or 2003 Model. I am interested in a four door vehicle. I also want a sporty sedan look to it or at least have the option allowed to add the sport package to the sedan. Does anyone have suggestions on model/makes that are available in the sport sedan?

I love the Toyota Celicia 2004 and the way it looks. However, it is too small, and only has 2 doors.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-04, 06:25 PM
A price range would help alot.

I would recommend checking out the new Mazda 6.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...=mazda6Gallery

The Mazda RX8 is sporty and has 4 doors. The lexus IS300 is nice if you've got the money. Nissan makes good sedans but I don't care for the way they look.

Old 07-27-04, 05:26 AM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
I do like the Lexus 300 series

however, I think they may be overpriced for me. Want to try to stay in mid range price. Want something dependable. I could purchase a two year old Lexus and afford it though. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a consumer Reports catalogue of all vehicles for 2004. Any place to find one for 2003 vehicles?

Old 07-27-04, 06:39 PM
check out

Check out the Toyota Matrix.It can be sporty if you get the XRS.

Old 07-28-04, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Sweet1
Want to try to stay in mid range price.
Are you kidding? "mid range" is meaningless information. Would it have been that much harder to type a couple numbers that constitute "mid range" so the rest of the world would know what you are talking about?

Old 07-28-04, 01:21 AM
Goto www.edmunds.com for reliability info on older cars.

Most anything from Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mazda that is relatively new should be quite reliable.

Old 08-02-04, 03:05 AM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
Question price range

My price range is $20K to $25K. I can afford up to $30K, but only for the right fall in love car, with options that make it worth to me. Fuel economy is something I would like to be at 24mpg or better on the highway. Four doors with room for four ppl in the car without feeling like sardines. Have a handicap mother, so trunk large enough to fold a wheelchair and place inside even if that requires a hatchback and back seat folding down to accommodate.

Thanks for the input. Other things I want in a car: automatic, V-6 or V-4, interior does not matter to me as far as fabric or leather.

Right now I own a 1995 Ford Explorer that is about to retire. Also we have a F250 Quad Cab 4X4 2002 Truck Diesel. We also own a 2004 Ninja Bike. Also, have a Porsche 944, 1989 - way too low to the ground - pain in the back.

Sellign Porsche to my brother, selling Explorer to another family member. So, motorcycle, truck, and i need something to DRIVE. I travel weekly three hours each way to another town for work. So comfort while driving is important.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-04, 06:23 PM
The big trunk is an important factor. Would you consider a wagon as well?

The Nissan Maxima has tons of room, a powerful V6 and would probably fit a wheelchair.

VW Passat is a good option, and comes in a wagon.

Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Saturn L300 and Subaru Legacy fits your requirements, but they are boring.

The Lexus IS300 is a neat car but is at the top of your price range and low on trunk space

A fun car to consider is the Mini Cooper S. We have one, and the back seat is suprisingly large and comfortable, rear seat entry is good even with the 2 doors, and it should hold a wheelchair with the back seat folded down. It has tons of upscale options and an very high "fall in love" factor. Check out www.namotoring.com for more info than you can shake a stick at.

I would put my money on you ending up with a Mazda 6 hatchback or a Passat.

Old 08-05-04, 01:07 PM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
Question still looking but closerI

Thanks for the info. Drove the Camry Special Edition yesterday 2004 model, loaded. I like the way it feels driving it and all the safety features. I am hoping to get a low price deal on 2004 closeouts, or might as well buy the 2005's coming out.

I am interested in the Madza 6 too. Have some dealers bidding against each other on the Camry's. No obligation, but they have seven days to bid against each other for my business. They have the obligation to give me the car at the price they offerred. I know some of the tricks though on the back end of a car deal with warranties and financing.

Not all of them, I am sure. Anymore suggestions?

Old 08-06-04, 09:28 PM
Don't buy anything from the dealer besides the car and factory accessories. Don't buy warranties, undercoating, rustproofing, or financing. Finance through your bank/credit union. Manufacturer financing (direct from Toyota/Mazda/whoever) to take advantage of a promo rate is reasonably safe. Don't sign financing papers when banks are closed.

Old 08-09-04, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Based on everything you stated as far as what you want, I would recommend a VW Passat Wagon. VW is probably the best cars on the road overall. You might also want to check out a Subaru Forester, but I doubt you'll like the looks.

Chris

Old 08-11-04, 11:52 PM
Iv'e been considering the Subaru Outback it's a nice wagon with AWD. The '05 is a new design, the XT model is a 4 cylinder 250hp turbo. Not sure if you'll need AWD in TX but Subby's have a great following and good rep.

Old 09-30-04, 08:05 AM
bigeye
Visiting Guest
Hyundai Sonata is very good

I tested drive a 05 Sonata and a 05 Camry the day before yesterday. The sonata is far better than the Camry. The camry is so cheap. Just test drive them, you will see. Don't like Lexus 300/330 either. They are just Camries.

Old 09-30-04, 08:31 AM
bigeye
Visiting Guest
Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mazda are not reliable

Originally Posted by stereoguy
Goto www.edmunds.com for reliability info on older cars.

Most anything from Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mazda that is relatively new should be quite reliable.
They do make good compact sedans but their midsize sedans are not that reliable. From Jdpower, the IQS winner is Hyundai Sonataand long term quality winner is Chevy Malibu. After 97, most Japanese auto makers redesigned their midsize sedans. Since then, their powertrain problems keep coming. EX 97-02 Camry, Lexus 300 and other modles have oil geling engine design defect. 04 Camry has airbag recalls. Almost all Honda cars have tranny recalls. Honda CRV burns itself. Mazda and Nissan are even worse.

Old 09-30-04, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by bigeye
Mazda and Nissan are even worse.
Sorry you feel that way. I had a 94 Mazda 626 years ago that wnt 150,000 miles before it died in a crash. Ran great with minimal work before that.

My father has a 98 Maxima that he loves. No real problems, runs like the day he got it.

Chris

Old 09-30-04, 12:19 PM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
still looking

I know more about cars then I have in a long time now. I appreciate the suggestions. I am still looking. Now I will test drive the Sonata. I have seen them on the road, and look pretty nice.

Not sure, sometimes they all start looking the same to me.

Old 10-02-04, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by WorldBuilder
My father has a 98 Maxima that he loves. No real problems, runs like the day he got it.
I put 20k on a 98 Maxima and had a grand total of zero problems with it. All I did to it was tires and oil. I know many people in the Maxima community with similar luck. Those are very good cars.

Old 10-03-04, 02:01 PM
The Hyundai Sonata????????? Chevy Malibu????? And "the VW Passat is the best car on the road overall"????????????

How about the new Altima or Maxima. Smoking cars with spectacular resale values. The Altima should be enough for your needs and the Maxima may be overkill...still nice.

You can't go wrong with the Honda Accord V-6.

I don't know what bigeye is smoking saying that the Sonata is better fit-n-finish than the Camry. The freaking Sonata is built on a 11 year old platform using a cast iron engine. Holy 1980's!!!!!!!!

The VW product is the quite possibly the WORST car on the road. Consistant A/C going out and the WORST transmissions on the planet. What a piece of garbage. By the way...VW is made in MEXICO along with your Chevy products.....SURPISE!!!!!

Malibu.......How many 1990 Chevys do you see on the road....how many Hyundais or VWs for that matter? You know what you DO see.....HONDAs & TOYOTAs & Nissans. By the way...HONDA and TOYOTA are made in USA....SURPRISE again! I am not sure where Nissan is manufactured today....Japan?

Suburu is a mighty fine vehicle but sometimes a little overkill (in what you get versus what you need) depending on where you live and your price range. Still....a great line of cars.

That Mazda 6 is a hot car right now.....BUT....it looks like many "kids" are buying them which will drive up insurance costs on the vehicle. Similar to the Civic....a "kid" car....insuarcne is more expensive than an RSX Type S by Acura.

RESALE value may not be at the top of your list BUT......if the Toyota Camry holds 55% of its original sticker price value over 5 years and the Passat holds 38% and the Sonata holds 33%......what do you think the general public thinks???

Rule of thumb...a vehicle (in a mid-price market) that has the least defects in materials and workmanship WILL have the highest resale value. The banks try to guesstimate and set these "residual values" on vehicles for leasing. It don't matter if you lease or not. The banks are smarter than all of us...they AIN'T gonna lose any money....RIGHT?

Now....financing help thru Toyota is very expensive. If you take advantage of that 0% stuff....the price for the car goes up because that financing must be "compensated" for by the dealer. The dealer actually PAYS for the interest rate. they ain't gonna lose money (either) and they will charge you the "buydown" thru the cost of the car. 0% is NOT always the best deal.

Buy a Honda, Nissan or Toyota (or Suburu). I think Toyotas are overpriced so I am biased towrds the Honda product. Honda invented Anti-lock brakes, 4-wheel disc brakes, all wheel drive and all wheel steering on mass pruduction vehicles. Look it up under "Prelude". Now...all cars have 4 wheel disc brakes (finally) and the general public has finally leared that Anti-lock is NOT a bad 8 letter word.

Thanks

Brian
Auto sales, leasing & training 1992 thru 1997

Old 10-03-04, 04:02 PM
No time to respond to all of that, but I will rebutt this:
Originally Posted by Guinness0052

The VW product is the quite possibly the WORST car on the road. Consistant A/C going out and the WORST transmissions on the planet. What a piece of garbage. By the way...VW is made in MEXICO along with your Chevy products.....SURPISE!!!!!
First of all, what does WHERE something's made have anything to do with quality?

Secondly, I don't think the VW's are the worst vehicles on the road. They have a long-standing reputation of being reliable and well-built, and I personally know of many different VW's going well over the 200,000 mile mark (including 2 of my own).

Transmission trouble? Tell that to someone who had the tranny FALL OUT of the vehicle (yeah, that would have been my wife's Mitsubishi). Now, zTHOSE things are garbage (perhaps they've improved, but this was a 97 Galant).

Chris

Old 10-03-04, 08:53 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with Guiness on this one. I have worked in the automotive industry for 3 years now, and my short list of reliable cars is Honda (considered the best by my mechanic brother), Toyota (which I prefer for styling and comfort) and Nissan. You could include Acura, which Honda makes; Infiniti made by Nissan; and Lexus which is Toyota's high-end, although you could just get a Toyota Avalon and save a few thousand bucks.

The Nissan Maxima seems to be popular with people who travel frequently. I've met a few people now who have more than 250K miles on their Maxima's.

As for VW, you couldn't give me one! I have personally met three people who had Volkswagons which broke down with less than 100K on them. Two had about 50K miles on them, and the other had 80K and had a blown engine.

My friend from Germany explains that in Germany, those cars are nothing. They are the "people's car" which translates to "poor people's car."

As for Hyundai - personally, I think they are fine. But a lot of people don't trust the brand so the resale is poor. And the Chevy Malibu has come a long way, but since it was designed to compete with the Toyota Camry, calling the Camry cheap is - well, absurd...

I appraise vehicles almost every day, and I can tell you the imports I listed will always hold their value better than any domestic car, and better than other imports. Why? Because they are more reliable. You can expect to get at least 200K miles on them. And you shouldn't have many problems.

One other thing - when Hondas have problems, they are quick to recall and fix the problem. Domestic manufacturers have a tendency to hide problems as long as they can.

Whatever car you do decide upon, make sure YOU love it, as you will be the one paying for it.

Old 10-04-04, 09:13 AM
Mitsubishi ranks right DOWN there with VW. Fit-n-finish, engine, brake and tranny problems.

Whenever a VW came onto one of 2 dealerships that I worked at in 2 different states (to show a general consensus)......The very first question we were trained to ask was "how many times have you had the VW in for transmission problems?" (wait for the answer) "OK....what about the A/C? When was the last time you replaced that (on your 2002 vehicle) Any problems with that lately?" I swear to you on a plate of biscuits & gravy that EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER, dropped their jaws and said..."How did you know?" I had customers that were on there 3rd tranny in as many years. 2nd, 3rd or even 4th A/C compressor. like clockwork...they always said the same thing.

Come to think of it...when an Eclipse came in...we got about the same response.

You "knock" peoples cars so that they don't expect a bazillian dollars on trade for them. Who can argue that THEIR car is worth more than anyone elses (when we ALL know that the transmission is ALWAYS bad). It is a selling ploy.

WorldBuilder....you mentioned that you have had 2 VW's (I assume 1 Passat) and a Mitsu that all had 200,000+ miles on them. What year were these vehicles? I can't see that you would have a "recent" VW product. These ain't the "beetle" that we are talking about. That Beetle was a little battle tank and you couldn't kill it if you drove it off a cliff. It would roll and just keep on going. those days are gone.

Second....the VW comes standard with a 24 month warranty (from the factory) PERIOD!!!!!!!!!! That crappy warranty is NOT-transferable if you sell the VW to someone else. Of course you can buy an extra warranty....BUT....why does'nt the VW factory believe in its own product. The KIA or Hyundai have 60 month warranties....and the majority of car buyers wouldn't consider them at all.

Thirdly....what ever happened to "Buy American". That was the biggest "hiccup" I came across selling "imports" (that are made in Indiana). The general public lacks so much knowledge on autos. There is also a lot of problems with "quality" when you TAKE your work across borders. Someone mentioned problems with re-vamped imports starting in 1997 earlier. That is because Honda & Toyota opend the AMERICAN plants then. There were many bugs to be worked out. Those bugs have been worked out. Funny how you don't here Chevy or Dodge complain about "Buy American" anymore.

All of the above, in one way or another affects the quality in the product.

Done

Old 10-04-04, 12:29 PM
No, I didn't have a Mitsu that went for anything. THAT vehicle was terrible. Transmission FELL OUT (yeah, it literally fell out of the car) at 28K miles.

No, I have never owned a Passat. I had a 1971 Super Beetle that I inherited from my mother that I finally got rid of with 220K miles on it. It ran fine when I got rid of it.

Currently, I have a 1984 Vanagon with over 250K. Toughest damn vehicle I've ever driven.

You make a point, though. My mother has a 98 Beetle that is crap. She hates it, but I think that's indicative of everything nowadays. Nothing is built like it used to be anymore.

Regardless, I love my 2 older VW's, and like the company. You guys wanna bash 'em, that's fine with me.

I don't get worked up about people's opinions about possessions. They're just cars!

The best advice I have to the original thread starter is to buy what you like and you'll be willing to keep it one way or another. You treat a vehicle well, it'll repay you in kind.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 10-05-04, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by WorldBuilder
First of all, what does WHERE something's made have anything to do with quality?
You must be kidding?

The Japanese work ethic and quality control is far superior to American or European. Even Japanese made Toyotas will tend to have fewer problems than American made Toyotas.

American cars are defanitly closing the gap from the 70's and 80's, but Japanese vehicles still set the bar.

I would rate the quality of the manufactuers mentioned in this thread in this order:

Honda/Toyota
Nissan/Mazda
VW/MINI <- I wouldn't buy anything below here.
Mits/anything American
Hyundai
Kia/Daewoo

I've owned at least one of all of these except Kia and Daewoo

Old 10-06-04, 06:00 AM
You must be kidding?
Nope, I'm not kidding.

Old 10-08-04, 11:27 AM
bigeye
Visiting Guest
Japanese cars have more engine problems

You must be kidding?

The Japanese work ethic and quality control is far superior to American or European. Even Japanese made Toyotas will tend to have fewer problems than American made Toyotas.

American cars are defanitly closing the gap from the 70's and 80's, but Japanese vehicles still set the bar.

I would rate the quality of the manufactuers mentioned in this thread in this order:

Honda/Toyota
Nissan/Mazda
VW/MINI <- I wouldn't buy anything below here.
Mits/anything American
Hyundai
Kia/Daewoo

I've owned at least one of all of these except Kia and Daewoo
Yeah, their power mirror may work well, however, toyota engines have oil geling design defects, honda/mazda have lots of tranny recalls.
GM engine has less design defects.

If you want a new car with less problems, consider the following list:

1. Volkswagen Jetta
2. Hyundai Sonata
3. Pontiac Grand Am Coupe
4. Pontiac Grand Am Sedan
5. Chevrolet Malibu
6. Oldsmobile Alero 2-door
7. Oldsmobile Alero 4-door
8. Buick Century
9. Toyota Avalon
10. Chevrolet Monte Carlo
11. Buick Regal
12. Kia Optima
13. Honda Accord Coupe
14. Honda Accord Sedan
15. Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe
16. Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan
17. Hyundai XG350
18. Toyota Camry
19. Toyota Camry Solara
20. Chevrolet Impala
21. Mercury Sable
22. Saturn LW Wagon
23. Mitsubishi Galant
24. Subaru Legacy
25. Subaru Outback
26. Ford Taurus
27. Saturn LS Sedan
28. Suzuki Verona
29. Nissan Maxima
30. Mazda 6
31. Volkswagen Passat
32. Nissan Altima
33. Volvo S40
34. Volvo V40
35. Chrysler Sebring Sedan
36. Dodge Stratus Sedan
37. Dodge Intrepid
38. Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Old 10-08-04, 11:46 AM
Run out and get that new Olds' Alero...you won't have any tranny or engine problems, cheap on gas too.

At least Dodge/Chysler made the bottom of the list....again....that makes me feel better.

Old 10-10-04, 01:56 AM
Old 10-10-04, 09:58 AM
Better hurry before there all gone....run!

Old 11-20-04, 04:45 PM
Have you?

Have you looked at the Toyota Matrix yet while you were out in the camary?
Lots of room good power,in your price range,fun to drive.I mean it check it out.O yea good on gas also 30 mpg.

Old 12-01-04, 04:40 PM
cartechguy
Visiting Guest
Reliable car

Jetta?
It is sporty and has a nice ride but I worked for VW, guys...
the VW reliability is nothing to compare to Toyotas and Hondas.
Try Corolla, they have sport package and it's one of the most reliable models
on the road. Check what experts say:
http://www.samarins.com/reviews/corolla.html
and the Corolla is very economical too!
Other options to consider would be Civic / Accord / Altima

Old 01-31-05, 08:25 PM
car_boy_16
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Guinness
Honda invented Anti-lock brakes, 4-wheel disc brakes, all wheel drive and all wheel steering on mass pruduction vehicles. Look it up under "Prelude".
How sure are you about this.....
The first antiskid braking system, called "Maxaret", was developed in 1958 by the Road Research Laboratories in Great Britain and was put on the Jensen FF sports sedan in 1966. And the first car in the United States with anti-lock brakes was the 1978 Merecedes S-class models as an option (the W116 chassis).
Disc brakes were first put on to Jaguars in the 30s - 4 wheel disc brakes.
All wheel Drive came about at the turn of the century in 1902. It was on a car produced by a Dutch company named Spyker.
The first four-wheel steering system was put into mass production in japan in 1985 with the Nissan Skyline GT-X's HICAS (HI Capacity
Actively controlled Suspension) system. I have an 89 Prelude 2.0si with the 4ws option and I was always told the same thing you stated, that honda was the first to introduce it in a mass-produced fashion, and it is in the United States, but the first in the world was the Skyline in 85.

Old 01-31-05, 08:30 PM
car_boy_16
Visiting Guest
Oops missprint... Jaguar with disc brakes in the 50s, not the 30s..

And also I wouldn't mess with VW, right now they are just cuasing too much trouble, they are making quite a repuation for themselves with the mechanics - and they are very expensive to repair. Even the simple task of flushing the transmission fluid is very expensive!
Subaru Legacy GT turbo - that is NOT a boring car - it's very quick and fun to drive, and it looks really nice too, especially in black! Definately test drive that car, and try not to pass on the manual transmission.
The accord V6 coupe with the 6-speed tranny is not a lame car either, they are pretty quick cars with their new 240hp sohc 3.0L v6 (j30) and they have some european styling ques. Hey, what a surprise, the looks of a european car with the reliablity of a japanese cars

Old 07-28-05, 02:30 PM
yoyoyoitsjdo88
Visiting Guest
hahaha whoever thinks that lexuses aren't the most reliable cars in the world is on crack. i hope y'all heard about how the lexus LS is the first car in history to achieve a jd power and associates long term reliability score of less than one problem per car during three years. the average is 2.4 problems, lexus' average is 1.3, the lowest problem rate of all automobile companies. booyah.

and whoever says that an ES is just a camry is sadly mistaken. it is not. that's like saying that siblings are identical just because they share some traits. all humans without genetic defects (such as down's syndrome) are more than 99% genetically identical. yet our world is vastly diverse. doesn't take a mechanic to figure out that a camry is more than 1% different from an ES. my family has 2 ES300's. we would know.

did i mention toyota is amazing? my dad's stock 97 4runner has had ZERO problems in 8 years and 125,000 miles. ZERO. like my mom says, you just put gas and oil in the thing and it runs. we even tow a 3,500 lb trailer + 5 ppl + camping gear during the summer and go light offroading once in a while. zeeero. not too shabby.

Old 08-03-05, 02:25 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
My 2 cents

None of that is surprising since Lexus is actually Toyota's high-end.. As for the Lexus being a Camry - it is actually more like an Avalon. You could get and Avalon and save several thousand dollars over the price of a Lexus. But then - you'd miss out on the "status" that a Lexus offers.. (personally, I'd rather have the extra cash!)

Search this Thread