Trucks Good in Snow

Old 12-28-04, 12:45 PM
GatorMcClusky
Visiting Guest
Trucks Good in Snow

I've just moved to Omaha, where I heard they tend to get a little snow during the wintertime. I'll be trading in my Ford Contour for something new. I haven't decided what yet, but I'm afraid I'm going to need to consider its ability to handle snow (which wasn't a problem where I was before).

Since I have a new home also, I figure I'll need a truck to haul stuff around, but I've been told that trucks aren't good in the snow (not even front-wheel drive trucks?). I've even heard that 4x4's have problems in the snow also. So the question is, what are your experiences with small trucks (Chevy S-10's, Ford Rangers, etc) in the snow? What should I look for?

Last edited by GatorMcClusky; 12-28-04 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Mistyped Title
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-04, 01:12 PM
The major problem with ANY truck in the snow is that the back end is light. I carried bags of rock salt or sand in my truck up North. Two purposes. It added weight to the rear end (had it over the axle) and if I DID get stuck, I could use it to help get me out.
Good tires are another necessary thing. Slicks don't go with snow.
Lastly, but very important....if you don't think you are driving a tank and use common sense you can go where you have to be. Good luck.

Old 12-29-04, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
I would add that the width of your tires is important - the narrower they are the better traction you'll get.

Old 01-06-05, 07:21 PM
Amigo-2k
Visiting Guest
How about an Isuzu Trooper? They are a system that you can turn on called Torque On Demand:

http://www.autoworld.com/news/Isuzu/Torque.htm

You can use it on dry streets too.

used Troopers (98-02) are an incrediable value right now.

check out autotrader.com for a Trooper near you!

Old 01-14-05, 09:03 AM
trucks

If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow and maybe hilly, as where I am, 2-wheel drive trucks are tough. I've had many 4-wheel drive trucks and have had no problems in snow. I have noticed that the shorter wheel-based ones, like an F-150 or C-1500 with a 6" bed, are a little better. Personally, I can't really use the smaller ones due to my usage. I see a lot of small Toyotas where I live plowing driveways though and they don't seem to have any trouble.

As far as front wheel drive trucks, I haven't seen any.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-05, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by GatorMcClusky
I've just moved to Omaha, where I heard they tend to get a little snow during the wintertime. I'll be trading in my Ford Contour for something new. I haven't decided what yet, but I'm afraid I'm going to need to consider its ability to handle snow (which wasn't a problem where I was before).

Since I have a new home also, I figure I'll need a truck to haul stuff around, but I've been told that trucks aren't good in the snow (not even front-wheel drive trucks?). I've even heard that 4x4's have problems in the snow also. So the question is, what are your experiences with small trucks (Chevy S-10's, Ford Rangers, etc) in the snow? What should I look for?
The ideal snow vehicle would be heavy, have 4wd/Awd, tons of ground clearance, skinny tires, ABS, LSD, and some kind of electronic traction control and braking system. The biggest problem with small trucks is that they aren't that heavy. You can add sand bags over the rear axle to help that problem. On a budget, anything with 4wd, good tires and decent ground clearance will do fine.

Old 01-30-05, 01:37 AM
In the past few years I've had 2 trucks and one of them was a 1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. Let me tell you, yes it was a small truck but there was nothing on this earth going to stop me. I mean I never went 4x4ing but I've been in some of the nastyest landfills, and drive through some very large snow storms with no problem at all. The one year there was probable 1 1/2 foot of snow and I probable was the only thing on the road and it drove like a dream.

I presently have a Dodge 150 2x4 and it really sinks in the snow. Last week we got 1 foot of snow and yes it did drive it but I did not feel safe.

Old 02-03-05, 09:25 AM
If you want to get a 4x4 that will make it through the snow make sure you get one built on a true truck frame, not one that gives a car-like ride. The true 4x4's are built better to handle the snow and have more weight for traction. I have a 4Runner and would definitely recommend it. I have never been stuck with it and it glides through a foot of snow without a problem. Plus you can't beat the reliability of Toyota.