Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What to buy?

Visiting Guest

02-28-05, 09:16 PM   #1  
cybane
What to buy?

My wife and I are looking at 2 different mini-van's and want to know if any one has pro's and con's like maintence and repairs.
first is 2003 Chevy venture LS xtended with 25k, and second is 1999 Toyota sienna xle with about 33k.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Cybane.

Sponsored Links

CT

03-03-05, 04:45 AM   #2  
Without anymore details than what you provided I would go with the Toyota. My wife and I have a Camry and a 4Runner and they are excellent. Neither has left us stranded and we have not replaced anything other than doing regular maintenace. Prior to the Toyotas I had decent luck with a Chevy but my wife had one that was a total lemon. Compare the Venture to the Sienna on Consumer Reports. I would feel safer driving a Toyota. I believe Toyota is a better built vehicle.

Visiting Guest

03-05-05, 01:26 AM   #3  
diagnosticmonke
Go With The Import For Sure

MAN, STAY AWAY FROM THAT SO CALLED AMERICAN MADE JUNK. THE BIG 3 ALL TOOK A NOSE DIVE AFTER 1971 AND CONTINUALLY HAVE RECALLS AND MAJOR PROBLEMS TO THIS DAY. THEY CLAIM ITS AMERICAN MADE BUT MANY PARTS ARE BUILT IN 3rd WORLD COUNTRIES that pay $ .12 AN HOUR. HONDAS AND TOYOTAS HAVE PROVEN THEMSELVES TO BE RELIABLE AND PROBLEM FREE WITH PROPER PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. I BUY, REPAIR, AND SELL A FEW AND HAVE FOUND HONDAS AND TOYOTAS TO NOT ONLY HOLD THERE VALUE BUT BRING A HIGH RE-SALE PROFIT ALSO. I NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT INVESTIGATING IT FIRST THRU A TITLE SEARCH. THIS WILL GIVE YOU SOME VALUBLE INFO AND POSSIBLY SOME BARGINING TOOLS WHEN IT COMES TO THE FINAL SALE. IF YOUR NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED ASK TO BRING IT TO YOUR MECHANIC FOR AN INSPECTION, IF THEY REFUSE SAY GOTTA GO THEN , THANX, AS THEY MAYBE TRYING TO HIDE SOMETHING. THEY MAY ASK YOU FOR COLLATERAL, NEVER GIVE THEM A CHECK. A COPY OF YOUR INSURANCE AND A COPY OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED. BE CAREFUL, I SEE PEOPLE GET TAKEN ALL THE TIME. ALSO, WEAR SOME OLD CLOTHES AND DONT BE AFRAID TO CRAWL AROUND LOOKING FOR LEAKS.EVERYTIME MY WIFE PICKS A CAR UP FOR ME SHE DOES THIS, SHE SAYS THE GUYS FLIP. HERES THIS HOT LITTLE LADY CRAWLING AROUND CHECKING OUT A CAR, I THINK THEY FELL INTIMADATED. ONE TIME SHE CAME HOME WITHOUT A CAR I WANTED AND SAID THE REAR MAIN SEAL WAS GOING OUT AS I HAD WASHED THAT CAR DOWN EARLIER IN THE DAY WHILE ON A TEST DRIVE. MAN, SHES GOOD. ANYWAY ,BEST OF LUCK.

TX

03-07-05, 09:26 AM   #4  
do home work

Not to be bias because I did get a PM once from a moderator saying I do not like American made cars (I do like the classic ones) get the Toyota thats all I can say.

Visiting Guest

03-14-05, 12:06 AM   #5  
albertindian200
I need second hand car

I am a newbie here I would like to have some cheap second hand car ( model and company is not a matter) It must be cheap. Please Tell me advice

Albert

disc profile : disc personality test : disc test

CT

03-14-05, 04:47 AM   #6  
I would recommend a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. You may have to get one a bit older or with higher mileage compared to something like a Taurus. But in the long run the quality and construction of Toyota and Honda will win out.

TX

03-14-05, 06:00 AM   #7  
my 2 cents

I would also look into the Toyota Corolla a bit smaller then the Camry but every bit as reliable also a bit less money.

03-14-05, 10:13 PM   #8  
I thought I put a post in this thread recommending the Toyota. Did a mod delete it?

Search this Thread