vehicle registration

Old 04-26-05, 06:44 PM
gatefire08
Visiting Guest
vehicle registration

What is the name of your state? California

Hi! I bought a vehicle from a person names Chris, a 2001 Lexus 2001. The car is under his ex-gf's name and he said she left and gave him the car, the registration paper, but she still has the title. The car has also been into an accident. I went to Las Vegas to pick up the car and i got him to sign the bill of sale and handed me over all the regisration papers and he did all the registration paper for the State of California. So basically he signed the car over to me. I drove the car back to california and i got the car fixed which is costly and everything is good to go. I tried to register it at the dmv and it said i need the title from him. So i called him and told him i need the title from his gf and he said he tried to get it but he found out the dealership has the title still because the vehicle was not paid off. He told me when he sold me the car, he didnt know about this. So he told me there is no way he or his ex can get the title from the dealership since she still owes an estimate $14000 on the car. But if i cant get the title, i cannot register the vehicle in the state of california. He said i should tried to change the vin number but i told him would not do it because its illegal and what if the dealership wants the car back beause she cannot payoff the car. So i want some legal advice. What should i do now? What happend if his gf cant pay off the loan, will they take the car away from me? i purchased the car for $3800 but i put on the dmv paperwork as $1200 so will i get the full amount back. I spent about $6000 to fix it up so will i get that amount back? What do i need to do next? Any help is greatly thankful. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 07:33 PM
I am NOT a lawyer. You will not be able to keep the car. The dealership will get it back. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to file charges against the guy you bought it from and PRAY. He may not want to go to jail and will reimburse you for ALL expenses. He sold you a car he does not own. Thats illegal. Good luck.

Old 04-26-05, 07:58 PM
gatefire08
Visiting Guest
some advice

well i just want to some advice, not to be make fun of. When i bought the car, it was seriously damaged because the whole drive side got hin directly from another car. The repair costs me around $6000 plus $3800 i bought the car from. So thats the whole story and i just want to get some advice.

Old 04-27-05, 02:46 AM
Group Moderator
I didn't take dragon's remarks as making fun of you. Bottom line: you made a very bad decision and then compounded it by putting money into something you (a) don't own, and (b) will never have clear title too. Sorry if that sounds like you're being slapped around. The guy you "bought" the vehicle from is a crook; no way to sugar-coat that description. Chances are he knew the gf didn't have clear title. Your best bet might be to contact the dealership that holds the paper. You might (emphasis on "might") get a few dollars out of them for "recovering" THEIR vehicle for them, but don't hold your breath since the vehicle will be worth considerably less than the amount owed on the lien. Regardless of the condition of the car when you came into possession, the dealer stills holds a lien for $14k and you are going to be out most, if not all, of the money you've put into it.

Might want to pay a couple of bucks to get a consultation with an attorney just to make sure that YOU don't go to jail for receiving stolen property.

Old 04-27-05, 05:08 AM
gatefire08, I am sorry if you tok my answer as making fun of you. I certainly did not mean it in that way. I gave you what I thought were the facts on what is going to happen as well as what Towguy said. It is against the rules here at DIY to belittle any member and being that I am a Moderator, I would not do that to you. Sorry again if it seemed that way.

Old 04-27-05, 06:50 AM
gatefire08
Visiting Guest
oh no problem. I just that i post this in other forums and they take it as a joke. I mean i made a mistake and im jus trying to get help. I have another question. What if his gf is going to make the monthly payment to the dealership still to pay off the 14,000, will i be able to drive the car still while shes paying it off? If yes, how long can i drive the car? If his gf is not willing to pay the car monthly, the dealership will most likely do reposession and i am obligated to give the car back right? Is there any other solutions? Worst case scenario, i will take this guy to court. thanks again dragon for your help.

Old 04-27-05, 07:04 AM
I think we are getting into a bit too much legal area for me to answer your questions. I doubt that you would be able to drive the car due to insurance problems. I would speak to an Attorney. You can sometimes get a consultation for an inexpensive amount and you will have all the answers. Good luck.

Old 04-27-05, 08:46 AM
about your only option at this point would be to take the person who sold you the vehicle to court and if you have a bill of sale with the amount you paid for it and can prove how much you spent on the vehicle getting it repaired then there is a good chance of you getting reimbursed.
you do not want to allow them to make the payments on the car this isnt even an option as you cant license the vehicle or own it without having a clear title.
you should seek a lawyer and contact the dealer or bank if known to see if the loan on the vehicle is delinquint at this time. the person who sold you the car may find a way to pay off the loan and get you the title to avoid going to court.

Old 04-27-05, 09:31 AM
gatefire08
Visiting Guest
thanks bejay..ill contact his gf directly and ask about the situation and what is she planning to do with the amount she owe to the dealership. Ill give you an update and see if im doing everything correct. Ill be searching for a lawyer too to seek for advices and actions. thanks again.

Old 04-27-05, 08:02 PM
You can post this same question on our sister site,

www.FreeAdvice.com

There are people thee who can give you guidance better than we can.

Good Luck

Old 04-28-05, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
I second majak's and bejay's comments. Couple of thoughts: If the gf starts making her payments to the dealer she can demand you give her the car (it's hers) and probably make it stick legally. Since she has no legal relation to the guy who ripped you off, the fact that he took money from you is between you and him; the gf can claim she was a victim, too. Too many issues to even list as far as driving the car in the meantime - can't register it so can't insure it for starters. I wish you good luck, but I think you are in for a messy battle unless the crook gives you back your money.

"Once you open a can of worms, the only way to get them back in is to use a bigger can".

Old 04-29-05, 04:20 AM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
paying ST

I guess this happens quite a bit, other people should be able to learn from your experiences with this vehicle. I guess the best bet is to never buy property from someone who does not own it? Obviously sometimes it may be hard to determine ownership but it almost sounds like you were a pretty willing victim here. You knew the car was worth a lot more than you paid for it and you knew the guy did not have the title but went a head and did the deal, the man did you wrong but you seem to have been a willing participant. You will probably end up loosing the interest that you have in this car either thru repossesion without any compensation or months and months of litigation and huge lawyer fees the bill could easily top 10 grand or more real quick and if you figure in yours hours of messing with it is it really worth the trouble?. I would probably call the dealership and just tell them to come get the silly thing take my loss and wash my hands of it. My old grand dad always told me when he saw that I had made a bad deal and lost money, that I had just paid STUPID TAX and that if I did not want to pay anymore I would learn from my mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me you are not the only one that has ever been ripped off I have paid huge amounts of STUPID TAX over the years I try to look at it as expensive education LOL After all its only money right?