Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Getting rid of a bad car...

05-18-05, 09:45 AM   #1  
Getting rid of a bad car...

Have a 1998 taurus with ~80k on it.

It was hit while parked, causing ~$2k worth of damage. Insurance cut a check.

Have yet to get it repaired, because at the same time, it was having transmission problems. Took it to a shop the other day and received a $2400 quote to rebuild the transmission.

As of now, it runs fine -- just shifts hard and kind of 'lugs' between 1st and 2nd gears.

It has other minor problems on top of that, and I just don't think it's worth it to put the money into it to get it fixed.

Will people actually buy POS's like this private party? Best to go to a dealer and try to pawn it off on a trade in? Bring it to a junkyard for scrap?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-19-05, 07:02 AM   #2  
grimreaper
With your car needing $4400 in repairs, that you KNOW OF..it would be useless to trade it in. A dealer would give you NOTHING for it. Sure, they would SHOW you a TRADE ALLOWANCE on PAPER..but the actual appraisal of the car would be zero, or close to it. As my years as a used car manager, I appraised many cars for ZERO. (When I was in sales, I actually had one used car manager CHARGE ME to take in a trade on a new car!!<LAUGH> (He charged me $25 just to call and have it towed away!) It didn't come out of my pocket of course, it was off the new car end of the deal..but it was funny none the less.
So unless you just HAVE to get rid of it..and dont care about the money..and are getting a new one anyway, don't bother with a trade.
People will buy ANYTHING if the price is right. Especially someone that can repair it themselves, or needs it for parts for one they already own. A guy that is handy, and has his own shop will buy it, fix it up, slap some paint on it, and sell it on one of those rent to own lots.
Good luck to you.

05-19-05, 08:41 AM   #3  
So you suggest not even bothering with attempting to add it as a 'trade in' when we're looking for a new car? Just place ads locally?

Any specific wording that should be used?
I don't really want to list it as a 'parts only' type car. As of now, it seems to run fine.

Any idea what you would ask for it via private party? $500? $1000?

Group Moderator

FL

05-20-05, 04:58 PM   #4  
Frankly, Taurus's (Tauri?) with bad trannies are a dime a dozen and the one's that don't have a bad tranny often have blown head gasket(s). The $2400 figure for the trans work would be a little high in this area; $15-1600 would do the job. Academic, because the vehicle isn't worth the price of the repair anyway. List it as "needs work" and "best offer" and take whatever you can get; the $2000 you got for the accident was probably more than the car was worth so you're ahead on the bottom line. I would surprised if you could get $500 for it.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

05-27-05, 12:53 PM   #5  
Part out what you can in fourms or eBay and then take it to the junk yard.

Visiting Guest

06-22-05, 02:59 PM   #6  
BobJS
We have a Taurus and it has been good to us for 140,000 miles. The 2500 price is high and is probably a Ford remanufactured tranny. You can get yours rebuilt for about 17-1800.

So, it is your decision whether to spend the 17-18 on the tranny plus pay 2K for body work and continue to drive it..let's assume for another 60,000 miles...or buy a new car and spend 20-30K.

It's really a decision you have to make. It is always less expensive to fix a car than to replace it with a new one.

If you decide to fix the Taurus, have it cleaned up and detailed once you get it back. You'll think you have a new car and feel better about it.

Just my .02.

06-24-05, 04:54 AM   #7  
Taurus Tranny Prices

In my neck of the woods at the trusted local tranny specialty shop a Taurus tranny rebuild goes for about $2400
I don't doubt the 1.5-1.8K figures in the least
But that's what it costs around here
The 2.4K may be normal for the poster's area

09-13-05, 02:56 PM   #8  
An update just because I happened to run across this post again...

Ended up buying a 2005 Hyundai Elantra through Carsdirect.com. Once we were there (price finalized) mentioned the trade in and got $1500 for the Taurus.

Was happy to accept.

09-14-05, 10:36 AM   #9  
Posted By: Cerestes Ended up buying a 2005 Hyundai Elantra through Carsdirect.com. Once we were there (price finalized) mentioned the trade in and got $1500 for the Taurus.
That works
Thanks for the update

Group Moderator

FL

09-17-05, 05:15 AM   #10  
They'll pound the dents out, drop in a used tranny and sell it for $5995, but you did good.

01-13-06, 09:13 AM   #11  
getting rid of bad car

Hello,
My daughter bought a new VW beetle Oct 05. She paid way too much for it, payments $510 and I co signed. It has been to the dealer once for a transmission ring that was leaking and they were suppose to fix the driver's side window that doesn't roll well and the ignition switch. The leak was fixed last week but we had to make another appointment for the ignition and the window for next week. Is there a way she can get out from under this car?
Thanks.
Sad Mom

01-13-06, 09:31 AM   #12  
Well, why do you want to get out from under it?
Is it the high cost or the mechanical problems?

If it is the mechanical problems, most states have a "lemon law"
It will vary from state to state, but usually the vehicle has to be back to the dealer for a repair on the same thing three times
You'll want to check into how your state works it

If you want to get out from under it because of the high cost, or buyer's remorse, you can always sell or trade it back to the dealer
You will take a financial hit, as it is now used, but sometimes one has to look at those expenses as educational expenses
Keeping a car that you can't afford just prolongs or spreads out the financial hit and risks (both) credit scores, at the risk of repo or other obligations getting pushed aside to make car payments

01-13-06, 09:39 AM   #13  
getting rid of bad car

Thank you.
I have checked the Lemon Law and it has to be the same problem 3 times. I don't know what I was thinking co signing for her and she can not afford it.

01-27-06, 04:38 PM   #14  
you can always donate a car and recieve a fairly substantial tax write off.

Group Moderator

FL

01-28-06, 06:38 AM   #15  
Ouch, tinner! She'll still be stuck with the payments!

02-08-06, 12:12 PM   #16  
I would think that a car that new would still be under warranty.

Search this Thread