Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Muscle Car

Visiting Guest

09-10-05, 01:03 PM   #1  
Lord_Awesome
Muscle Car

Hi, I am new to this forum. I will be brief, I am looking to restore a muscle car mostly for fun, and to learn a little more. I just wanted to know what others thought of various muscle cars.

Sponsored Links

09-21-05, 06:06 PM   #2  
By muscle cars, I'm assuming you're referring to the fun cars of the 60's/70's. Loved them... still do.... and would own one if I could afford a nice one. Restoring them..... Phew! Not a weekend project - and certainly not an inexpensive hobby. I was once interested in restoring old cars... till I found what a "really good" restoration involved and cost. (stripping to the frame and rebuilding - no bondo allowed near the vehicle) Good luck!

PA

09-22-05, 05:58 PM   #3  
my advice of buying a classic/muscle car/street rod

Research, research, research....decide what vehicle that you want and learn their weaknesses, it will save you aggrivation later. learn the weeknesses and look it over before you buy. Also, the popular models are easiest and cheapest to find parts for. 55-57 Chevys, 67-mid 70's Camaros, 53-56 F100s, 66-mid 70s Chevelles..all of these vehicles have so many parts available that you can literally buy an entire vehicle 1 part at a time. Here's more advice..the guy who builds it loses the most. You can buy someone elses project or completed car for less that he has already put into it...no kidding! Just buy the right one and buy it right. If you're planning to do a ground up restoration...good luck! Expect to spend a lot of time and $$$. For instance, chrome emblems, knobs, strips, cost more than you can immagine and more than they are worth. If you buy a car that is not one of the more popular models like my buddies 1936 Buick, expect to search forever for parts. To do it right, its takes a lot of time and $$$. If you have the time, patience, and the cash, then it may be for you. I rebuilt a car and it was fun and satisfying, but I farmed some of the work out like paint.

How about a sweet 1953 Ford F100 with a 350 Chevy engine and a hydraulic tilt front end shown in the 2000 F100 Super Nationals, it only has 5800 miles since built??? Oh and by the way, us hot rodders keep a vehicle for about 5 years and then we want something else. I also know of a 1970 Pontiac Firebird with a rebuilt 406 and about 50K original miles that may be for sale.

Go to a local car cruise and look around, there is always something for sale. My thought was to buy something that someone concidered finished and I would make it better from there, so far it has worked out.

09-26-05, 10:52 AM   #4  
HotRod had some very good advice. I had a 1970 Pointiac LeMans and it was difficult to find some of the parts because it wasn't a GTO. If it were a GTO I could have gotten anything I needed. GTO's are much more to buy up front though so you have to weigh the options.

11-10-05, 08:25 AM   #5  
Muscle car

Hi,

If indeed you are persuing this for "fun" and a little education, make your selection something that pleases you and does not exceed your abilities so you can maintain your interests for satisfaction. As stated earlier, a complete restoration on #'s matching, correctly restored muscle car is quite expensive.
Buying a completed or nearly completed project is much more economical. Case in point- currently in or shop resides a '67 chev pickup awaiting completion, approx 60% of work completed, amount spent to date $12K. During a recent visit to Carlisle, PA (swap meet to gather parts) the same truck, same colors, same drivetrain, done!!! 1-/2+ condition, for sale $9000.
When this project is completed, the owner will have nearly 3 times that amount invested. A basket case purchase will definately be an education, one you will not forget easily. Good luck

11-13-05, 11:55 AM   #6  
Posted By: thezster By muscle cars, I'm assuming you're referring to the fun cars of the 60's/70's. Loved them... still do.... and would own one if I could afford a nice one. Restoring them..... Phew! Not a weekend project - and certainly not an inexpensive hobby. I was once interested in restoring old cars... till I found what a "really good" restoration involved and cost. (stripping to the frame and rebuilding - no bondo allowed near the vehicle) Good luck!
I don't really get the no bondo comment. To get a smooth finish they even skimcoat entire cars with bondo on "American Hot Rod".

Visiting Guest

11-13-05, 03:15 PM   #7  
DinoG1975
all i can say patience and money.

TX

12-27-05, 02:42 PM   #8  
great hobby

Would love to have a muscle car there are plenty of choices they are all fine from fords to mopar.I guess it all depends on how deep your pockets are mine are very small so that is why I do not have one
However if I win the lotto I promise you I will have a weekend driver or two.and a big new snap-on box full of nice tools.
I know there are many clubs out there and many places that sell repo parts all the way down to the stock headlights.
Yes a very good hobby

02-10-06, 07:53 PM   #9  
Posted By: Lord_Awesome Hi, I am new to this forum. I will be brief, I am looking to restore a muscle car mostly for fun, and to learn a little more. I just wanted to know what others thought of various muscle cars.
Do it yourself. 7os are the best way to go. Still lots of parts around at scrap yards. But it is a costly hobby but lots of fun. Good luck.

02-11-06, 05:01 AM   #10  
you should go hang out a a car show and talk to some owners. time-time-time-money-money-money. see if you want to be like some of these guys when you grow up they get to the point where they need to replicate crayon writings on rear ends. start with a body you like and build something you can have fun driving. striving for authenticity will drive you nuts.

GA

03-12-06, 05:05 PM   #11  
Posted By: Lord_Awesome Hi, I am new to this forum. I will be brief, I am looking to restore a muscle car mostly for fun, and to learn a little more. I just wanted to know what others thought of various muscle cars.

That's a pretty broad question, but older mustangs are easy to find.

MO

03-17-06, 10:31 AM   #12  
Do what you like.

Get only what you are truely interested in. Money won't mean much if it is a labor of love. A lot of time it is about the actual hobby of the project and not always about the actual value at the end. Invest in what you love and you can't go wrong. But do find a worthy project. Mustangs are easy to come by and you can build one out of a magazine without even searching for parts. Chevys are even more ridiculously easy and cheaper. Matter of fact, I just recently saw where they are making Brand New 69 Camaro bodies. Wow what a clean sanitary way to start. Build it the way you want. LOl good luck .

Visiting Guest

03-31-06, 08:02 AM   #13  
dougger
Your most valuable muscle cars are going to be hands down Mopar. With that being said you will pay for every part needed to restore unless you go aftermarket.

Your best bang for your buck will be with a more mass produced muscle car such as a Chevelle or Nova. For an even cheaper bang for your buck you can always go with "sister cars" and find yourself a Lemans or a Skylark, which usually are cheaper than the GTO's or Chevelle's.

Someday I'll pick up my dream muscle car, a Hemi four speed 70 Road Runner Super Bird!!!

For now I'm content with my two Shelby's and my wife has a nice Sunday driver, a 65 Mustang 289 V8 four barrel.

BTW, muscle cars prices are hitting the roof so if your going to buy the sooner the better.

Search this Thread